1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Marcus Miller Jazz 5 string pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, Feb 3, 2014.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

I called Fender customer service asking if I wanted to order pickups like the ones on Marcus Miller's bass, what would I order.

The reply was that it would be the Fender Vintage 60s Jazz pickups. (Isn't Miller's bass a '77?) Anyway, I checked the internet & the 5 string version not easy to find. Furthermore, one sight stated those 60s pickups have alnico 3 magnets (not a compromise from alnico 5s?). And how do the 60s Jazz & 62 Jazz pups differ?

2. pfox14

pfox14

So, if I understand you correctly, Fender does make 60s jazz pups for a 5-string? I couldn't find any information about them on Fender's website and I've been looking. Please confirm.

3. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

That:s the thing I couldn't find them. Marcus Miller has a 5 string version of his bass, & I called Fender they told me his pups are 60's Vintage. Later I found out there's also a 1962 pup. I do have a vague recollection of seeing a 5 string 60's Vintage Jazz pup on "Buzzards Bass", but as usual, they were sold out. I am confused myself.

4. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

This is kinda pissing me off. If I wasn't such an ethical guy I'd order a Fender MM 5 string bass through Guitar Center, switch out the pups with ceramics, then return it in less than 30 days. Guitar Center deserves that, but the new owner of that bass wouldn't.

Fender's C.S. could be a lot better. Getting technical info from sales reps is never good. They'll ******** you just to get rid of you.

I suppose I could get my luthier to claim that he has a Marcus Miller V with bad pickups & see if they'll send replacements. But that precludes getting an Internet bargain. The bass I have is a Fender product. It's a heavily moded Squier DJAV. I have Carvin j99a pups on it. Nice improvement, but require a HUGE treble & midrange boost to get a sufficient growl.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

...bad customer service???? That's Fender for you! Now let the fireworks begin!

7. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

The problem is that you can't talk to a tech. I have been able to talk straight to a tech when making inquiries about
    SWR products. Perhaps I should direct my inquiries to SWR products, then while I'm talking to a tech (who actually knows what he's talking about) I can steer my inquiries to Fender products.

I can tell you that Josh a BS artist. I stand behind that. If people have a problem with that then they can....... For one thing, once you let on to him that you're modifying an existing Fender product, rather than purchasing a new Fender product, he can get downright nasty.

Both pfox14 & I are a little in the dark about what's what concerning the 60s pickup. Is there a 5 string version? What's the difference between the '62 pup & the 60s pup? Now there's a "noiseless" version of the 60s Jazz pup (which means that it's probably a side by side split coil, but who knows?) Visiting the Fender website for answers just spawns more questions. If you call Josh for answers, he'll discourage your inquiries & make you feel like crap for not being able to afford a new Marcus Miller bass right out of the box. That's his job, selling expensive stuff. Basses, not pickups.

Furthermore, I have an SWR Goliath III cabinet & it's sensational! It's a disgrace that Fender buys out the competition, then gobbles them up. I play with a guitarist who plays an acoustic Tacoma guitars. He swears by them & apparently Tacoma met a similar demise at the hands of Fender.

8. pfox14

pfox14

I love the fact that you can buy a replacement 5-string pup cover from Fender, but not the actual pups themselves. They are missing out on a good market for these.