Marcus Miller Jazz iv string.. tell me this is worth the $

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mister_Munro, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Mister_Munro

Mister_Munro

I won't bore you with my own justification for why I want this thing.. I enjoy the bass. It has features I look for in a Jazz bass.. the only thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger is the price. I live in a Rural community. In Northern Canada. 1300 for a brand, spanking new MM Jazz bass. IS that too much? They said they'd toss in a hard shell and keep the gig bag. Should it be that much?
  2. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

I looked hard at the MM jazz basses. They were on the heavy side for a jazz, slathered in polyurethane finish, and the pre amp sounded harsh. YMMV, of course.

I ended up buying a used Hiway One Jazz for $500.

My take is the MM is a slightly hot rodded jazz. There are better sounding, cheaper, aftermarket drop-in pre amps. And there are better looking Jazz basses, the MM pick guard is rough looking. What really stopped me was the weight and the sticky finish, and the price.

Also, back when I checked them out, the was only the one natural finish, no colors.

If price is a factor, I'd buy a used jazz I liked and do a couple easy mods.
  3. pedroims

pedroims

I heard the new MM bass (MIM) has a better preamp. The one I had ( Japan) was heavy. Overall I like the bass, I think they cost $1000 brand new in the USA
  4. ole Jason

ole Jason

I played a Japanese version at GC. Despite the surprisingly nice setup I was not impressed.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mister_Munro

Mister_Munro

Yes, this is a new mexican built one. I thought the pre-amp sounded pretty good. I liked it in passive mode as well. I could sand off the finish on the neck if it really bothered me.. I dunno. My thoughts on it anyways.. if I were to buy off of ebay, with shipping and the conversion rate I'd be paying more then if I bought it from this place.. I've also been looking at these things for a while so.. yeah!
  7. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

I considered a MM jazz, but ultimately went with a Lakland DJ4. The couple of MM basses that I've played were nice basses, and I think that I've seen them on the used market for as low as $700 USD.
  8. mtdkingstonheir

mtdkingstonheir

I have a Japanese made Marcus Miller 4 stringer and I have to say that, although "different" sounding, I really like it. Very nice tonally and comfortable. Just my 2 cents.;)
  9. Jheake

Jheake

If you like the look of the pickguard, it sounds like a jazz bass.

I owned a Japanese model for a couple years, the pickguard is what made me sell it. You simply cannot get away from it. I hate that look now.

There are better sounding jazz basses for that much bread. An American std is that much.