1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Marcus Miller may be right after all!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I have never been one who could play well with a detuned E string, I always lost my place. I really like fives because I play below E a lot, which makes standard fours of limited value to me.

It just so happens that the best bass I currently own is a USA Peavey Millennium four that I gave up trying to sell. This bass has a 35" scale and it is not floppy when tuned down a whole step, so I have tuned it DGCF today. I have to admit, it sounded good when I played Fred Hammond's "Let The Praise Begin." I miss the Db and C, but until I get a better five with a modern vibe or I get my Affinity shielded, I think I will have fun with my detuned Millennium.
  2. DuShauh

DuShauh Supporting Member

+1 Dr. I have found D standard tuning to be "almost" perfect. Playing 5 and 6 string basses for over 20 years now, I never imagined anything would make me feel at home playing 4 again. I was wrong. I still like 5'ers but now they are tuned D-G-C-F-Bb.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Thanks, I'll try that on my five too. I am really happy because this tuning is really letting me get a lot of use out of my Millennium, a bass I got for next to nothing when a music was moving. I was really interested in picking up a modern five, but since my Millennium is D sounds so good, there is no need to rush into buying something else.
  4. mech

mech

If you play very little or not at all above E on the G string, convert it to BEAD. Easy to do. Top nut slots widened for the larger strings, saddles moved back about 1/8" and maybe a truss rod tweak. I normally take a BEAD 4 string as a backup, change of pace or back relief for my normal 5.

mech
  5. Dr. Cheese

I'll stick with detuning because I do slap regularly. Since my Millennium has a 21 fret neck, I have only fret less of high end than a standard Fender.

Within the next ten days, I will try to post clips of my Millennium, the low notes sound clearer than a number of fives I have played. I would love to take a Cirrus and tune it DGCF too, these 35" fours really, really handle detuning well. I bet an old Peavey G Bass would kill too.

I cannot express how happy I am I could not move this bass. I seriously had a gem in my hands and did not know it! I said before that I could have saved a ton of money if I had learned to appreciate the Millennium electronics instead of always wishing I could split the rear humbucker like a Lakland.
  6. StingrayDerek

StingrayDerek Supporting Member

Both of my bands require the dropped D. But since I hate playing in dropped tunings, I started playing in DGCF. Love it. I also have a Dingwall AB1 being built that I plan to tune to ADGCF.