Marcus Miller may be right after all!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I have never been one who could play well with a detuned E string, I always lost my place. I really like fives because I play below E a lot, which makes standard fours of limited value to me.

It just so happens that the best bass I currently own is a USA Peavey Millennium four that I gave up trying to sell. This bass has a 35" scale and it is not floppy when tuned down a whole step, so I have tuned it DGCF today. I have to admit, it sounded good when I played Fred Hammond's "Let The Praise Begin." I miss the Db and C, but until I get a better five with a modern vibe or I get my Affinity shielded, I think I will have fun with my detuned Millennium.

2. DuShauh

DuShauh Supporting Member

+1 Dr. I have found D standard tuning to be "almost" perfect. Playing 5 and 6 string basses for over 20 years now, I never imagined anything would make me feel at home playing 4 again. I was wrong. I still like 5'ers but now they are tuned D-G-C-F-Bb.

3. Dr. Cheese

Thanks, I'll try that on my five too. I am really happy because this tuning is really letting me get a lot of use out of my Millennium, a bass I got for next to nothing when a music was moving. I was really interested in picking up a modern five, but since my Millennium is D sounds so good, there is no need to rush into buying something else.

4. mech

mech

If you play very little or not at all above E on the G string, convert it to BEAD. Easy to do. Top nut slots widened for the larger strings, saddles moved back about 1/8" and maybe a truss rod tweak. I normally take a BEAD 4 string as a backup, change of pace or back relief for my normal 5.

mech

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dr. Cheese

I'll stick with detuning because I do slap regularly. Since my Millennium has a 21 fret neck, I have only fret less of high end than a standard Fender.

Within the next ten days, I will try to post clips of my Millennium, the low notes sound clearer than a number of fives I have played. I would love to take a Cirrus and tune it DGCF too, these 35" fours really, really handle detuning well. I bet an old Peavey G Bass would kill too.

I cannot express how happy I am I could not move this bass. I seriously had a gem in my hands and did not know it! I said before that I could have saved a ton of money if I had learned to appreciate the Millennium electronics instead of always wishing I could split the rear humbucker like a Lakland.

7. StingrayDerek

StingrayDerek Supporting Member

Both of my bands require the dropped D. But since I hate playing in dropped tunings, I started playing in DGCF. Love it. I also have a Dingwall AB1 being built that I plan to tune to ADGCF.