1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Marcus Miller's fretless sustain

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, Jan 2, 2014.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Has anybody noticed that when Miller plays a ballad he usually plays his fretless jazz bass (that is if he's not playing his bass clarinet). That instrument really sings, lots of sustain.

Is there anything special about his gear (other than the addition of lots of reverb, & brass bridge saddles) that facilitates that kind of sustain, that rough, nasal, guttural mwaaah?

I'm going to get a fretless Jazz bass soon, & I'm kinda shooting for that kind of sound. My bass will be a used Squire VM fretless Jazz, or a new (knock-off) SX 6 string fretless jazz bass, or a new fretless SX 4 string Jazz bass in a 30", 32", or 34" scale.

I'm afraid of having buyers remorse. In terms of getting the sound I want, is there any thing I should know about basses, effect pedals, electronics, playing technique, before deciding how much money to spend on this, that, or the other thing? I am on a budget!

2. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Also. It appears that Marcus Millers fretless bass has no built-in active electronics, like his Bartolini/Sadowski modified fretted bass.

I already have Fatbeam & reverb, what else do I need?

3. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Also, if I do get the SX knock off & the pups aren't OK, I have Carvin J99a's I can put in. I also have a 10 band MXR M-108 EQ pedal. (Incidentally, my amp's an LH-500, my cab's a Goliath III.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

Marcus Miller has used a Fodera for much of his fretless work in the past. I know he sold a fretless Fodera to raise money for a cause, so I don't know if he still uses Fodera in the studio anymore.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

What's pictured on "a Night in Monte Carlo" appears to be a sunburst jazz bass w/no pick guard (just like Jaco's). No visual evidence of active electronics. The fretless sound on that album is my reference point.

7. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

I stand corrected that probably is a Fodera Monarch fretless & I suspect it does have active electronics