Marine who fell on a Grenade.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

2. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

that's pretty sad, seems petty to me..
  3. SnowCal

SnowCal

I don't have the brass balls needed to kick in a door and subsequently get shot at. Peralta is certainly braver than I, and a hero.

But the military has exacting standards for its highest honors. Peralta doesn't meet those for the Medal of Honor. He's received the Navy Cross, a very high honor.

There's a recent article in the Washington Post that sheds some light on why Peralta isn't getting a Medal of Honor. Medical experts examining the evidence say that the injuries aren't consistent with Peralta diving on the grenade or pulling it under him. The grenade exploded some distance from him. Furthermore he'd already suffered a head-injury that would have left him unconscious. Marines who were in that room with him and took shrapnel next to him dispute the story too. At least one stated in sworn testimony that he was pressured by his officer to lie about what happened in order to make Peralta appear a true hero. He said one reason for this is that Peralta was probably killed by friendly fire and the Marines felt guilty.

Balls of brass? Yes. Hero? Yes. Medal of Honor? There really isn't enough evidence to say yes and too much saying no. The Navy Cross is an appropriate recognition. Lots of guys have died valiantly and gotten less.
  4. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Well stated, SnowCal.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

The Article I read said the Marines around the fallen Marine were saying they saw him dive on it. I guess the truth is out there somewhere.
  7. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Yes - same here.
  8. bmc

bmc

9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

fixed

I've been out since the mid 70's and haven't kept up with who got what awards, but when I was in the only MOH winners in the USMC received their award posthumously and only for superhuman efforts on behalf of their comrades.

If I had to venture a guess as to why this guy didn't get the MOH it would be some hard ass old line officer insisting on keeping the high standards of the USMC higher than the rest of our military branches.

To be completely blunt, I'm surprised he received the Navy Cross. Plenty Marines have covered grenades in the history of the Corps and most died, and most only got a purple heart and a unit citation read aloud at formation one morning.
  10. bmc

bmc

Unless I'm reading the articles wrong, it's not clear that he did lie on the grenade. That seems to be the issue at hand.