1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mark Bass Blowing Speakers? Help!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Grantini, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Grantini

Grantini

I have a Little Mark III playing through a 102P and a 151P.... always worked seamlessly. Still under warranty.... All of a sudden, two nights ago, all three speakers blew. There was no discernable spike in volume or power. No pedals, no nothing, everything Mark Bass in the line and I was playing a Lakland bass with passive pickups. I have no idea what the heck happened.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I'm expecting the worst from VST on this... fingers crossed.

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

Obvious question: Were you pushing the cabs too hard, either with volume or an over abundance of low end?

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

If all three speakers blew at the same time that smells like a failure in the amp head. I personally would NOT try that amp with another cab until it is checked out. Three speakers at once is VERY odd.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    +1

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

ABSOLUTELY1!!

If the amp is under warranty contact MarkBass and get them to fix your system.

Edit: I assume that both cabinets are 8Ω right??

7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    +2

The amp must've sent a big shot of DC through or something to blow them all at once, or some other catastrophic power section failure.

Use the warranty claim and don't use it with any more speakers, though it may be ok to check the preamp out into something else to verify what failed.

8. Grantini

Grantini

Wasn't pushing it at all, rehearsing in the studio.... I agree it had to be a shot of DC... tech buddy coming over to check with a meter. I've filed the warranty paperwork and I'm getting ready for the worst.... Hopefully they will recognize that this was a purely markbass problem.... I've bought a lot of gear from them and gotten other friends to buy their stuff as well.

9. Grantini

Grantini

I do recall getting a whiff of something electric, but didn't think anything about it... tons of tube amps in our studio so you get that sometime.... that was most likely the voice coils cooking off

10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Have you tested your speakers with a battery or another amp to be sure they're all blown?

All of them dying at once is pretty rare. It is possible just the amp crapped out. By your description, I don't think you were running hard enough to burn all the coils.

11. Grantini

Grantini

Ok, wait until you hear this.... we tested the head, absolutely fine... try again and at that point, we realize that the spring holding the pickup cover on one of the humbuckers on the lakland.... the pickup cover was vibrating against the flatwound making an ungodly noise.... because it was tied to the E string, it seemed to get worse the lower the note, which fit into the blown speaker scenario. Bottom line, I'm going to get the neck adjusted and the pickup cover fixed on the Lakland, in the mean time I'll play my stingray and the mark bass is FINE!!!!!!!!!!

12. B-string

Ya hoo Good news!

13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
  14. Rosebud

Rosebud Supporting Member

Sigh of relief... I have been down the DC into the speakers road suck's.

15. DirkP

DirkP

I would have been surprised, if the Little Mark (or any other modern amp) would have blown your speakers.

The Little Marks have a built in limiter that prevents too hot signals from being sent to the speakers. And I would at least estimate that they have a kind of fuse that prevents dc from being sent to the speakers. My 80's Technics middle class hifi-amp had those fuses (on the outside, so that they could be replaced easily). I guess there is an equivalent of fuses in modern amps that shuts them down in those cases, so you don't even have to change a fuse.
    Am I right?
    Dirk

16. B-string

No protection circuit even if present is a 100% guarantee. ;)

17. P Town

P Town Guest

Yes. Sometimes an output device blows to protect the fuse.

18. leroy diamond

leroy diamond

Those dirty little laklands:D

19. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I had three Carvin FET series amps. A pair of 400s and a 900. The output of all three had a triac "crowbar" as protection. The idea was to cause the fuse to blow. Unfortunately the crowbar was on the amp side of the fuse and not on the output jacks side. :(