Mark Bass Direct box for bass is awesome!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lovenotfear, Nov 18, 2012.

1. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Mark Bass Direct box for bass is awesome!!!!

I bought it for the end of chain for my pedal board, but I tried it out for the first time all by itself at church this weekend, it sounded so much fuller, and warm, It has more clarity on the high end, and a very full and rich low end, without being boomy. It sounds so much better then the other name brand direct box they have been using, they are going to buy one now just for the church to own for the bass.

Anyway just wanted to share my experience, I am a believer now in the Mark Bass Direct box, all direct boxes are not created equal.
  2. bassohollic

bassohollic

I might have to add this to my current Pedal Board Project!!
  3. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Good to hear. Is this the Super Pro DI or the Super Booster (which also has the VLE/VPF controls)?
  4. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

it is just the normal passive DI, no battery, no knobs etc...

For being as simple as it is, it sure does keep my low end tone in tact
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Thanks for this post...I want to get back into playing at church and was looking for a solid DI box that wasn't $200+ like the Aguilar Tone Hammer since I have an active 3 band bass already.
  7. Stevosimpson

Stevosimpson

I love their DI boxes but I bought a markbass distorsore for overdrive, it for the most part came out like fuzz no matter what I did.. oh well sold it and now have a sansamp RBI
  8. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Yeah, to me, I don't think their other pedals sound very unique enough to want to buy, but a direct box is a different animal.
  9. howlin

howlin

The Compressore is pretty cool IMHO.
  10. Mike M.

Mike M.

Good timing on this. I play at church and have been playing thru my amp (GK MB115) going direct. They want to eliminate the floor monitors and have us use in ear monitors with our own "mixing stations" and have the bass guitar going directly into a direct box, eliminating the amp.

I know they're going to supply something but I don't know what. I'm wondering if I should buy my own direct box or something that will give me some tonal control. Offhand I was thinking about a Tech21 VT bass pedal, but I don't have any experience with these things because I've always played thru an amp.
  11. Martinyeomans

Martinyeomans

FWIW

I've been using a system like this in church (1000+ seats) and for several years now and love it. We use AVIOM mixers so each musician has his own preset mix which he can tweak, save and recall next time. That's huge given that we rotate 6 different bassists, each with his/her own mix. I've listened to some of the others' mixes and it's amazing how different theirs can be from mine.

Free advice - DO NOT use ear buds that are designed for music players. Get the best in-ear monitors you can afford. It will make a HUGE difference. I switched from Shure E2s to Shure SE215s recently and love them. They're the best monitors a C-note can buy in my (admittedly limited) experience. Of course some of the guys have $500+ custom molded monitors that are even better. Check out www.earphonesolutions.com . That's where I've gotten mine.

As far as an "amp-free" direct signal for the bass, we've never had amps on stage (except for guitar amps which run lines to speaker cabs in isolation rooms offstage) so I've gotten used to it. Between good in-ears and the subs in the house mix I can get a pretty good "feel" for what's coming through the FOH. Not as good as standing in directly in front of 500 watts of whoomph but more than you might think.

First of all, don't immediately discount the idea of running your bass straight through a basic DI into the house without a preamp. That is what most of the other bassists at my church do. Depending on your bass, the EQ options and how you play, you may want to consider the ease and simplicity of just plugging into the DI and hitting the ground running.

As for actual pre-amps, I don't use any distortion so I've stuck with pre's that are more about EQ and/or character. I've tried several including the Eden WTDI, a Sansamp BDDI and the MarkBass Super Booster.

I didn't really like the Eden too much. The tone just didn't do it for me. It was a little darker than I prefer even after a quite a bit of tweaking. One of the other guys swears by his so...

I do like the Sansamp. It's relatively transparent but adds punch and a distinct tone that I like. It was my primary for almost 2 years. I keep it in my bag as a backup now.

The MarkBass Super Booster is clearly the best pre for my tone. The sound guys love it and comment on how much clarity and punch I get. I almost never use the boost function, my G&L L5500 already has more output than I need. I do however love the two iconic controls to tweak my tone. The VPF basically "scoops" the signal while the VLE emulates vintage speakers and rolls off the top end. With a little tweaking of these two I get a nice, thumpy tone that is tight and articulate without being too edgy. When I switch from fingers to pick I just work the treble on the guitar's onboard EQ to keep the tone where I want it - brighter and more articular for upbeat praise, darker and deeper for worship. Easy peasy.

Good luck.
  12. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

I also play in a 1,000 seat auditorium at church every week, and have used the IEM/AVIOM setup for about 3 years now. Before that I had a floor wedge (I have literally never used an amp in our sanctuary, it's never been needed, always gone direct, so my experience is totally biased towards an amp-free lifestyle... Sorta. But more on that later...).
    IMO there are pros and cons to each:
    Wedge: truer sound, more "real" feel, louder in the low end, but no control over it unless you bug your sound man (who are always so eager to attend to your personal mixing needs), and no freedom of motion lest you get too far away from your wedge and can no longer hear...
    IEM/AVIOM: complete creative control over personal mixing needs, total freedom of motion (as long as you have wireless), but you definitely miss the "real feel" and truer low end sound of an actual speaker.

All that being said, I have a love/hate with my IEMs. I don't spend huge $ on stuff like earbuds, mine are a pretty simple $250 pair of Sure (don't know which model) and my wireless is prob the worst one that $ can buy (the wireless transmitter for my AVIOM, that is) so I don't get "good" tone in my IEMs at all. But I don't know how id live without that little AVIOM mixer in my life anymore, I tweak it EVERY SOUNDCHECK. Don't get me wrong, I make it a point to never try to turn around and tweak it mid-set, but I constantly tweak it in soundchecks or rehearsals. It's beyond wonderful to have your own mix and have complete control over said mix.
    About the DIs:
    Now, I never use an amp at church (though I always do for regular gigs outside of church) but I would never advocate just walking in with your bass and a cable and plugging in dry to whatever DI box they threw at the bass station (especially if you play jbasses and pbasses like I do and don't have any onboard eq to give em a nice signal to work with) so I have worked up a little way to "amp" my signal without using an amp...
    The last two things on my pedalboard are a BBE Sonic Stomp sonic maximizer pedal, and a Radial J48 DI box. I use passive basses and a (fairly) sizable chain of effects, so I use the BBE as a last line of defense, it regathers any lost signal goodness and reinstates it before sending my signal to the board. But right after that it goes through the Radial, which has 48 FREAKING VOLTS OF PHANTOM POWER to give my signal that "oomph" I'd look for from an amped signal, but without something like one of those preamp/active eq/direct box thingys (I don't WANT an active eq sound!) the radial does a phenomenal job of not coloring my tone but kicking it up.

I feel that the combination of the BBE and the Radial is instrumental in delivering my signal through hundreds of feet of cable through the stage, below the floor, to the Mac, to the board, and back through hundreds of feet of cable to the p.a. speakers without having an actual "amp" in my signal (the sound man does not use amp modeling either).

When it comes to living an amp-free lifestyle, I still feel that delivering your sound man the best possible signal is your responsibility, and should be part of your passion.

Or they could just get me two SVT 8x10s on the pulpit and they'd never have to worry about my signal again...