1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mark Hoppus' Pick Mute

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by moxnix9, Jun 13, 2002.

1. moxnix9

moxnix9

OK, tomorrow is my big party playing blink-182 cover and I'll be using a pick (do I sound like the laziest bass player yet?). Anyway, I heard someone say Mark mutes all the strings except the one he's playing on. This makes sense considering the fact his arm swings like a mad man when he plays. So with which hand and how does he do this? Left hand or right hand? Thanks in advance.
  2. neptoon

neptoon

well, if he's swinging his hand like a madman, i would think that you are talking about his picking hand. i would venture to say that he mutes the strings he's not using with his left hand. and just because he has no discipline in his right hand doesn't meant that you don't have to either ;)
  3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

I think he just puts his hand over the entire fret board, like when you are playing bar chords on a normal guitar. But he only puts pressure on one fret. Sound confusing? I cant blame ya. :D
  4. FeTiS

FeTiS

all i can say is:

if your playing blink, it isnt tough, and he just swings his arm to look cool. but anyway, to mute, just do as said before. lay your hand over the fret board and just put pressure on the (root)note. its a good thing hoppus sucks so much, cause that technique sort of restricts doing more than ONE note at a time...
  5. ReCkLeSsAbAnDoN

ReCkLeSsAbAnDoN banned.

So Hoppus sucks? In your mind of course. But what about the millions who buy the albums or attend their shows. I'm sure you may be better, but better recognized, I think not. :D
  6. kirbywrx

Cmon, lets not start bickering about Mark. We all have our opinions. Lets just leave it at that and continue talking about his techniques...
  7. kaboom133

kaboom133

well, i jsut tried to do this, and i think i'll stick to keepin my hands near the bass. when i tried this, i couldn't keep ahold of the pick, it kept flyin across the rom, and my fingers kept hitting the strings. but this could have to do witht he fact that i don't usually play with a pick.
  8. kirbywrx

If at first your dont suceed, try try again. Dont give up just because its hard. Thats how you get better by doing different, challenging things. Keep at it. :)
  9. cone

cone Guest

hey, dont sweat it, all u need to do blink stuff is use a .60 nylon pick, put pressure on the not ur hittin and muffle the rest w/ the same hand, and set ur highs and lows WAY up and cut the mids half way
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Yeah, isn't this the same technique used in Beastie Boys' "Sabotage". See, this technique can be used. Basically all the notes are deadnotes except the root notes. So if your playing a G on the E string. Play the G on the 3rd fret like you normally would and lay your hand across the rest. I'd imagine he uses his thumb to mute the E string while playing something on the A. But isn't this a way to bring on carperal tunnel syndrome (Hmmm spelling?). To avoid this if using this technique just hit the ADG and avoid the E. But if looking cool is so nessicary, go for it, use your thumb. ;) As for the D and G strings.... ehhh your doing Blink covers, you don't need to worry about strumming those. (Well, kinda in "Carosel" but... whatev)
  11. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

You should look deeper into Mike Dirnt of Green Day. His stuff off of American Idiot, like those old classics are pretty nice, even though I don't like pop punk. He's pretty legit.

Also, Geddy Lee's flicking technique gets the job done for Rush too. Sounds better than a pick too.
  12. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

I know this isn't really relevant but what is it with player like Mark? They have been playing for years and all they can do is simple bass stuff.

On topic, he uses his left hand. Have fun being lazy out there.
  13. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Its hard to do fancy stuff with a pick and jumping around like a total maniac at the same time. I tried it once. Its hard with fingers too. Most pop punk bassists perform stage antics