1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mark Michell and Scale The Summit

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Silver Blues, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

Any fellow prog metal fans out there, what are your thoughts on Mark Michell replacing Jordan Eberhardt in STS? I thought JE was really great but listening through "The Migration" repeatedly reveals some extremely great bass work by new guy over here. He's technical and in-your-face without ever losing the groove, I daresay more so than JE was. Every song has something impressive bass-wise.

So, what do you think?
  2. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

No STS fans out there? :oops:
  3. Auspex

Auspex

I dig Scale the Summit, actually have one of their albums, but don't know much else about them.

Got some specific songs we should check out for reference?
  4. liquid sunshine

liquid sunshine

5. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

Hmm, mostly all of the new record has something interesting going on in the bass but I'd say Atlas Novus, Oracle, and Willow. Probably in that order too.
  6. MP87

MP87

Really digging the new album. Would buy his tab book if I had a 6 string...
  7. Demo69

Demo69

^90% of the record can be played with a 5 string, so buy your book! I love StS and mark as their new bassist. I just recorded with Jamie king who also recorded The Migration. He had nothing but good things to say about mark.
  8. MP87

MP87

Just wanted to revive this old thread to say I bought the bass tab book for The Migration and it is awesome! Great rhythm workout and fun to play. I play it on a 5 string.

Also check out Pomegranate Tiger if you like Scale the Summit.
  9. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

WAY ahead of you bro :p but great advice for anyone else.
  10. therhodeo

therhodeo

I've enjoyed their newest album alot. Just like I'd enjoy Periphery if they didn't have a vocalist.
  11. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

I'm with you there. But you know what... check out the instrumental version of Periphery I, it is actually very good. I am really not a fan of the original but the instrumental version is up there with a lot of other great prog metal instrumental records. It all sounds so great without the singing.

Also, I just bought Clear (their newest EP) the other day, and the vocals on that are vastly different from any other Periphery that exists, I think you might like that, too.

Periphery (Beware that a few of the songs are cut like a second short)

Clear
  12. therhodeo

therhodeo

Is that instrumental version available on CD?

Also does anyone else hear alot of Rush influence on the Migration? Tonally and musically.
  13. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

I'm not sure if it's available on physical CD, but it is available as downloads in a bunch of places, including iTunes.

I don't really, but I get where you're coming from.
  14. therhodeo

therhodeo

I'm guessing its being so forward in the mix and his tone mostly.
  15. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

Yeah. I like how forward he is, his playing is, as I said, in your face and technical without ever losing the groove, it's great. I find his tone is a lot smoother than Geddy's, it's still charged with high-mids and is a nice active-with-rounds tone, but Geddy's tone has a snarly edge to it that Michell's doesn't quite.
  16. therhodeo

therhodeo

I get that.