Markbass 1" compression driver replacement help

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by PhatBasstard, Nov 5, 2012.

1. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Have sent an email to Markbass, but thought I'd ask here too:

I just got a "great deal" on a used Markbass 104HF cab from my local Guitar Center. Unfortunately it looks like the 1'' compression driver is toast. The cab is in great shape other wise and I would rather keep it since Guitar Center said I could get it fixed for a reimbursement.

Anyone know if there's a source for just a replacement diaphragm for these or the whole driver unit itself?

Thanks

2. murphy

murphy

Maybe you could buy an Eden horn to replace it?....as i always thought the Markbass horns are the weakest link.

3. PhatBasstard

There does seem to be a lot of people saying they've blown theirs. I'm not sure what the difference in sound would be as all my other Markbass stuff has the tweeter, not the 1" compression driver.

The unit itself is oddly shaped to fit between the 10"s. I'm not sure an Eden type (Foster horn?) would fit easily. I'm hoping for an easy diaphragm replacement.

4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I'm thinking Markbass sources from B&C speakers?

I'd start by getting numbers off the driver and going through the manufacturer or a dealer of theirs for a diaphram. MB would likely just offer the whole assembly.

I think it's the models with peizo tweeters people don't like or blow a lot of.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

It's a blessing. Bass isn't meant to be played through a tweeter ;)

In all seriousness, Guitar Center can order you a replacement.

7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The diaphram or the whole thing?

Just the diaphram, which is really the only part that can blow, is usually around 1/4 - 1/3 the price of the whole assembly. It's like buying the whole wheel and some brakes too when all you really need is the tire.

If they can source a diaphram.....cool.

8. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

post a pic of the damaged driver, or several. It is not likely that Markbass manufactures the component, it is most likely a catalogue item from B & C, though it may be possible that they or another supplier OEMs it for Markbass based on one of their catalogue items.

9. PhatBasstard

I know B&C does the actual speakers for Markbass, but I didn't know about the tweeters or compression drivers. I'll have to check.

The sales guy at Guitar Center seemed to think I would get it rectified quicker on my own and get the reimbursement than if I wanted to go through Guitar Center channels. Or I could just return the whole thing for a refund, but I'd rather get it fixed and keep the cab.

10. PhatBasstard

OK,
    Got a replacement diaphragm from Amplified Parts in AZ. It's a SICA which is also an Italian company.

Problem is...it's D.O.A. :mad:
    Installed it and it didn't work. Got the multi-meter out and checked everything in the workings of the cab. Everything is fine. Took the Foster Horn out of another cab and hooked it up to the Markbass. It worked fine.

Checked the new diaphragm for resistance/continuity and....nothing. Just like the original non-working one.

So I guess they sent me a non-working replacement. The only thing that's puzzling is neither diaphragm looks damaged. No cracks, gaps, dents, burns, etc. I've replaced a lot of diaphragms over the years and they always showed obvious signs of damage.

Could SICA have sent a whole batch of defective diaphragms out to various retailers? It seems odd that they both suffer from the exact same symptoms. They look undamaged yet both have no resistance/continuity. But I would think there would be a build up of complaints and wouldn't Markbass realize this before too many cabs got out?
    Am I missing something?!

Anybody have a similar issue with the Markbass 1" compression driver and found a suitable (and sizable) replacement? It seems many feel these are the weak link of the Markbass cabs anyway.

11. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

Diaphragm tweeters have a voice coil, like a woofer does. If I was to guess, I'd say it's open. I don't know right off hand where you would measure continuity, but comparing the Sica and the Foster with an ohm meter might be worth a go.

12. PhatBasstard

The Foster, like the Sica, is labeled 8 ohms. The Foster measures fine (7.8-8 ohms). Both Sicas nothing. Measured at the terminals of course.

13. murphy

murphy

Is it possible something else has blown in the horn and not just the diaphram but the whole thing?

14. PhatBasstard

Other than the magnet (and a new one comes with the new diaphragm) there is no other "active" part that would be "blow-able". It's just plastic mounting and framework.

I've checked both diaphragms when completely dismounted from everything, as well as mounted. They both just appear to be dead. They look fine, but neither registers resistance nor any kind of continuity.

15. PhatBasstard

The one bright spot here is that, even though the replacement was $36 shipped, Guitar Center reimbursed me $55. :D

16. PhatBasstard

Sent an email to both SICA and Amplified Parts.
    We'll see what happens.

17. PhatBasstard

New one on it's way from Amplified Parts.
    Apparently the first one they sent was dead.