1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Markbass 151HR cab and 104HR

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MascisMan, Sep 29, 2008.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan

Anyone own either or both of these cabs? What bass/amp are you using with it? Happy about the purchase? Regret?

Im thinking of getting one of these two cabs to stuff underneath my Markbass CMD102 combo.

Thanks for your help!
  2. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Just curious why you don't have the 151P on your list?

I have the same combo and the 151P is the one I'm considering. WIll extend my bottom-end, weighs about 15lbs less than the HR and $100.00 less.

The difference between the 151's is a tweeter and the combo, IME, is plenty bright already.
  3. MascisMan

MascisMan

Thats a good question.

The width is good (for stacking the combo on top). I guess the main thing was that the 151HR would be more versatile in the future as a stand alone cab (if need be).

However, what are your impressions on the 151P? The 151P box looks to be a little more shallow than the 151HR. Does it provide less lows because of this?
  4. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

151P should stack just fine. The 102P Combo and 151P are the same line. Also, remember the combo is designed to tilt back so the horizontal base is narrower.

Both the 151 P and HR are rated down to 40hz so "bass" should be the same. The 151 P rolls off at 18khz while the 151 HF extends to 20khz. My guess is that's the tweeter in the HF at work.

I've never compare the cabs side-by-side so I can't evaluate the listening experience. All I an do is compare the specs.

Both cabs are 8 ohms, so I can't imagine why one would be better than the other or different in a future rig (again except for the tweeter in the HR).
  5. lunarpollen

lunarpollen

Why not the 151HF?
  6. MascisMan

MascisMan

This is going to sound really vain, but I just don't think I would like how the cab/combo would look together with all those ports.

Sorry, probably unfair of me.

Luv- I will need to find a GC that has the 102P combo, 151HR, and 151P in stock to do a comparo.
  7. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

8. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Well, from my humble perspective, I like the 151P because:
    • It's about 15 pounds lighter than the HF (easier on my aging back),
    • It doesn't have a tweeter. I think the 102P combo has enough high end on it's own, and
    • The 151P is $100.00 less than the 151HF
    My 2 cents!
  9. Arlekiin

Arlekiin

I have both of them connected to Little Rocker 500 and the sound is staggering and mindboggingly massive.

[​IMG]
  10. JazzBassAce

JazzBassAce

I've just bought a 2nd hand 151HR STD to go with my Mini CMD 121P. Great sounding cab and really easy to carry after years of ashdowns!
  11. Mister_argentum

Mister_argentum Supporting Member

The 104HR is a nice pro-cab.

Full range and nice sound out of it. It is easy to carry and enough for most gigs.

I also like the compression driver, it really adds same nice sparkle to the tone.

I cannot comment on the 151HR, but I usaually find the 15 cabs too nasal for my taste. Good luck with the hunt!
  12. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

I have both, like the both. Use the 151 on top. although, I have 5 MB cabs, I don't use the 151 very much.