MarkBass 1X12 Combo.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BassmanI, Sep 6, 2013.

1. BassmanI

BassmanI

Folks, I would like some input on the MarkBass 1X12 Combo amp I'm considering. I need a small powerhouse for both my electric and upright, since my subbing gig has me on a very tight (and I do mean TIGHT) stage with my upright, but powerful enough to cut through an eight piece R&B ensemble. I've heard that amp before and I like it, I just wanted other bassists' inputs, especially those who use it.

2. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

I think the markbass stuff is great sounding, but always find it under powered.
    Tried a 1x12 markbass combo last week at long and mcquade, felt the same about it.

3. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

With the NY151 cab under my Jeff Berlin combo, I find the 2 piece , small footprint, 84 lb., 500 Watt/2 15 rig capable of all the volume I need. I expect as others have said, if you need more volume with the 12 inch combo-add the matching extension cab.

4. swmmojo

swmmojo Supporting Member

Shuttle 6.2 combo kills; small footprint, great for electric but seriously awesome for double bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AndrewChalloner

AndrewChalloner

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Markbass Amplification
    Hi I'm endorsed by Markbass so feel free to read or skip my comment. (I did buy most of Markbass gear before the endorsement though)
    Hi I've heard from others that the 112 Markbass speakers work well with double bass. I'm an electric player so can't comment too much on that.
    I have a pair of 112 Markbass Traveler Speaker Boxes and also a pair of 210 Markbass Traveler boxes. If you use 2 then they don't take up any more footprint and then you can leave 1 at home if you're doing a smaller gig. Stacking vertically (as is the hot topic) also takes us less floor space. Personally I prefer the 210's but I'm not playing upright.
    We also have a Markbass mini cmd 121p at church. It's good but a shame that you can't turn off the tweeter.
    With the Markbass heads being so small I prefer the seperate head and speaker boxes.
    Another idea on a tight stage is to tilt your cabinet back with a Markbass mark stand or a bit of a wood (but not a milk crate right JimmyM?)

7. swmmojo

swmmojo Supporting Member

I like the Markbass stuff but when I was looking for a similar rig as the OP the Genz stuff was perfect for me.

Note: the shuttle 6.2 has a built in HPF and it makes a big difference for double bass. The 6.0 does not. Most GB combos have a built in tilt stand as well.

8. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

I've owned my share of Markbass gear and it's impressive stuff. I'm not a fan of their piezo tweeters and would choose combos or cabs with a traditional horn. For example, for a 12" combo my choice would be the CMD 121H over the CMD 121p.

9. sanderic

sanderic

I use the Markbass 112 combo in a 17 piece big band. For the record, I use a P bass with Chromes .045 and a foam mute. Totally satisfied with the volume and tone. Used outdoors last weekend, did well, and very easy to carry out and the end of the night.

10. BassmanI

BassmanI

My plan right now is to get the 112 combo and a good wireless for the R&B group, then to hardwire and use my volume pedal for most other applications. When I'm using both basses, my volume pedal acts as the main control for my upright, and a cutoff when I switch instruments.

11. BassmanI

BassmanI

Looking at my budget and my needs, I went with the Behringer BXL 1800. Got a chance to set it up this morning and so far, so good. I would like some input on performance, etc. Also, I would like some input from Double bassists who have used the Ultrabass series.