Markbass 410HR or 410HF????

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bradjonesbass, Aug 12, 2008.

Markbass 410HF or Markbass 410HR

1. HF

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. HR

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. bradjonesbass

bradjonesbass

Planning on purchasing a MarkBass 410 cabinet soon to match up with my SA450 head. I know I'm going with a 4 ohm cabinet but am trying to decide between the front ported HF or the rear ported HR. I'm playing mostly gospel/funk/jazz in either a gospel band or a funky jam band, but will also be using it in a new 80s cover band - pop stuff, no "spandex metal". I play mostly fingerstyle with almost 50% of my playing on a fretless 6 string. The fretted stuff is more Oteil and the Peacemakers jam band style and the fretless is very flat sounding. Price difference is about $50 more for the HF, so it doesn't matter to me. Which one would be preferable for my style and sound?

2. MonsterBass101

MonsterBass101 Supporting Member

Personally I think that because you play funk get the Front Ported. The sound will be deeper and more full on the bottom end based on my limited experience.

3. iandmcelroy

iandmcelroy

Big Stage = Rear Port
    Small Stage = Front Port:hyper:

They sound the same until you get close to a wall. You get a coupling effect on the bass if you get the rear port near a wall and makes you sound muddy. I like front ports myself because you can use them anywhere.

4. bugbass

bugbass

IMO they do not sound the same. The HR sounds more midrangy, and even close to the wall the bass is quite different IMO/IME. The HF sounds fuller and deeper and can take more volume with a 5 string before it breaks up.
    Both great cabs, I strongly prefer the HF.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bradjonesbass

bradjonesbass

so far looking like the HF which is where I was leaning.

7. phat daddy

phat daddy

I have the HF and I wouldn't trade it for any cab on the market. Great sounding cab anywhere I put it. I play anything from raggae, funk, disco, rock (new and classic), jazz, fusion, and anything else you can make a buck with. This cab projects everything beautifully, and cuts through a stage mix like a knife through butter. It's more than worth the extra $50 for the HF IMO.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just to clear up a misconception floated in this thread, the location of the port makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. Lows are omnidirectional and the port's location makes no difference. The reason the HF sounds deeper is because it's a larger cabinet.