Markbass Big Bang question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Russell L, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Russell L

Russell L

I am considering getting one soon, although I'd like to see what they might do to it for next year first. Anyway, I noticed that it has an AUX IN female 1/8". First question is, I assume that in order to hook up many things you might have to go from two RCA jacks into one 1/8" male, then into the head, right? Second question is, is there a way to control AUX volume on the head, or will that need to be done by the auxilliary equipment itself? The headphone out has a volume knob. That's a nice touch. It would be nice to control the AUX volume as well.

I'm hoping they'll add semi-parametric mid controls. I sent 'em an email about that.

Thanks for any answers, guys.

2. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Volume control for the Aux in done on the device being input.

They use an 1/8 inch jack because it saves space and usually it's a MP3 or CD being plugged in. 1/8 - 1/8 cables are common now.

If you're plugging in something that's doesn't have a 1/8 out, adapters are cheap and easy to get.

3. darius8

darius8

The odd thing is when the headphones are used the blue LED light next to it blinks. I had to put some black tape over it to dim it.

4. Russell L

Russell L

Thanks, guys. Hm, weird about the light blinking. And, I need another CD player anyway. The little cheap one I found at my brother's doesn't have a volume control. No problem, though. I just wanted to know.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. darius8

darius8

Hey Russell I did some test on mine and I thought this may help in your decision making.

The main volume (and headphone) knob controls the overall volume of the aux-in and bass. Any stereo signal (2 channels) that goes into the aux-in comes out mono, the channels are combined through the headphones also.

7. sratas

sratas

by the way, the blinking you are referring isn't a "phones light", it blinks because the amp enters the "mute" state if the headphone jack is engaged. The concept behind it is that if you need to practice silently trough headphones, you just don't need any cab, so the amp enters the mute mode, and the power light blinks. Many other amps, almost all, have a mute light to indicate the state...

8. Russell L

Russell L

Ok, thanks. So, you can play with headphones without a speaker plugged in? That might be handy sometimes.

9. sratas

sratas

every Markbass head and the major part of the amps on the market are totally safe wiyhout a speaker or a load...very handy, even when you record in the studio, just plug in the head and you are done...only amps with a tube poweramp can need a load to work safely, usually solid state or digital poweramps do not need...
    by the way, I use the headphone out and the DI out a lot, totally cool to practice and record silently with my wife watching TV...