MarkBass Big Bang?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by anton72, Oct 17, 2013.

1. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

Guys, does anybody own MarkBass Big Bang head or had any chance to compare it with LMII\LMIII and what's your impression?
    I actually use Micromark combo for practicing + NY604 cab as an extension. I definately want to buy a micro head to go with NY604 cab and deciding between LMIII, F1 or Bib Bang.

What I like in BigBang is that it has headphone out and aux in, so instead of using a combo for practicing and head+cab for gigging I'd just combine two in BB and use it for practicing with headphones and for gigging, instead of having both combo and a rig. It's a bit pricey, yes....What do you guys think?
  2. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
  3. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

I have both the BB and the LMIII and in my opinion they are the same amp with the exception of the size, headphone and auxiliary jacks. I use the BB as my gig and practice amp and use the LMIII as a band practice amp. You can't go wrong with either amp it's just a matter if you want to pay a few extra bucks for the features mentioned above. That being said you probably could find a used LMIII at a good price.
  4. anton72

Thank you guys! I've found a used LMIII at a fair price but still looking at BB as I may be able to get rid of my practice combo if I use BB. I've read BB has an issue with headphone input, what is yours like?
    Thanks

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rrritchie

rrritchie

Anton, did I read correctly that you have been pushing a 406cab with your micromark? Is it the micromark801 or the original with the black face 6" speaker? I want to add a second driver to an original micromark but the output says to use a peizo tweeter only or you may damage the amp.
  7. anton72

Yes, I pushed NY604 with my micromark. strange...the manual says you can connect 8 Ohm extension cab to
    deliver 60 Watts, so did I. I connected my NY604 to micromark801 and that just worked fine. And yes, its micromark801 with yellow 8" speaker.
  8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I have the CMD102P combo (has the LMKIII head). A couple of months ago I stopped by a GC that had lots of Markbass stuff. I compared the LMKIII and the Big Bang through several different markbass cabs. I really liked the Big Bang through the Randy Jackson 15" cab. If I had to choose b/w the two, I'd probably pick the Big Bang b/c of it's size. The tone very good and much like the LMK (to me).
  9. anton72

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  11. lowerbassment

lowerbassment

I would definitely test it before buying especially if you buy used. I bought a used Big Bang and it turned out it had an issue with a noisy headphone section that required repair which turned into a lot of hassle...

Not sure how frequent this issue with the headphone section is though. Like you I came across it before.
  12. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

When you use the headphones you have to make sure you have the right kind. I thought I had a problem as my headphones were not working properly so I contacted Markbass and this is what I was told,

"You need to use the most common headphones on the market. Any kind of stereo ones.
    The headphones with the microphone on the wire, used for cellular phones, doesn’t work with our headphones socket.
    I hope this will clarify your doubt."

I will need to purchase a different set of headphones as the ones that I currently have are for cellphones, iPod and iPad.
  13. rrritchie

rrritchie

Thank you! I'm buying a micromark 6" to practice and use as the high frequency side of my bi-amp gig rig.
  14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Big Bang sounds like a LM11 or LM3. Not my bag at all. Too loosey goosey in the low end. The F1 is a whole different world and I enthusiastically recommend it. Or a F500.

15. sratas

sratas

The BB is a great head.

The headphone preamp issue is well known.

On the newer BBs the issue has been solved. I can assure that because mine has been upgraded and works perfectly now, no matter wich headphone is connected
  16. veech

veech Newton's Downfall Supporting Member

I finally got a Big Bang and agree this is a fantastic head. I shoped around locally because I didn't want to risk the bad headphone issue, and found that most of them actually still HAD the issue. What I discovered was that all the bad ones had a manufacture date of Oct. 2012, whereas the good one I found had a manuf. date of Aug. 2013. I would highly recommend checking the date (clearly labeled on the back) before purchase because there seems to be a fair amount of older stock still in the warehouses. And yes, mine works great with all the headphones I tried, including a pair that didn't work on the bad unts.
  17. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I was going to point out some of the sonic differences as described by Bass Gear but here it is from the horses mouth!

:D

I play rock so the Big Bang sounds like the MB I would choose.