Markbass CMD 121H vs CMD 121P

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by cybersnyder, Jan 4, 2009.

1. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Anyone have a chance to A/B these two combos? I like the size of the 121P, but always felt like I wanted a little more bottom. The 121H is bigger so it seems like it should have low end. But I've never seen the 121H anywhere. Hoping someone has had the opportunity to compare them.

Thanks,
    Rich
  2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

There is a difference but it isnt huge. Perhaps 20 -25% more bottom?

Now pair up one of these combos with an extension cab and you can really shake some bootay!

That's what I do with my cmd121p and UL112 extension.
  3. Slaine01

Slaine01

4. yamaha

yamaha

Ive tried both quite a bit. Both are top quality combos, but the 121H is noticably fuller sounding on it's own, and wort the price diff. However, Slaine01 has the best combination to my ears, a 121P combo, on top a 121H extension cab. That's a great match-up. Was very close to buying that exact same setup.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

I think the difference is pretty big in fullness, but so is the size. The 121H is considerably bigger than the 121P, with the 121P being a "small combo" and the 121H tending toward a "large" combo. Both are great at what they do. The 121P is probably the "pound for pound" winner but I prefer the 121H's tweeter by a longshot.
  7. basske

basske

P is the "piezo" and H is the "Horn" (tweeter)
    Thats the only difference.
    But Ive change the piezo with a real tweeter.
    Much better sound and less "hissss"
    I dont understand that MB use piezo-tweeters
    A real tweeter is not so expensive

Greetz
  8. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I also saw that Michael Manring is using the 121H. So if I get one, I'll sound just like him. Heh.
  9. Bassflute

Bassflute

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings
    They are both quite nice. The larger one has quite a bit more carrying power, much nicer top end, but it is SUBSTANTIALLY larger - more than twice as big. Very deep, as well; I had a little trouble fitting it in my trunk. For rehearsals, small gigs, I'd get the little one; very convenient, but don't try to push it too hard. For larger gigs, the big one is good, but I'd shop around for a used Berg IP112, or save your pennies and get a new one.

Whole different kettle of fish.

Cheers,
    Cameron

10. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    I'll have to check the dimensions, make a cardboard mockup and see if it fits. Just from pics I thought it was just a little taller. I had considered the Berg IP and using my POD X3 as a front end for it. But I was turned off by the price. They have to be pushing $2k by now.
  11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

+1, this is all correct. The small one and an extension is better if you are size/weight sensitive. I am using the 121H as my practice room amp, it sounds great and stays where it is. The 121H is about as big as a 2x10.

W
  12. Bassflute

Bassflute

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings
    It is WAY bigger - and yeah a cardboard mockup would give you some idea. It is a large amp, probably the biggest 1x12 combo on the market. It is light, though; feels like it's empty.

Bergs go for about $1200-$1400 used. Check the marketplace, and a few bass only stores - there's FEW out there. And they are smaller than the big Markbass, bigger than the small one, heavier than both, sounds better than either one, and is WAY LOUDER than both of them put together.

It's not the the Markbass amps aren't good - they are very good. But the Berg is just something else, man!

:bassist:

Cheers,
    Cameron
  13. Thumpdog

Thumpdog

I use 2 of the CMD 121P's which not only allows me to cover any venue (less a large outdoor setting) but serves as a backup head just in case. I originally planned to wait for the NY121 to hit the US market but with the anticipated price at around $500, I opted for a 2nd combo at $849 from GC.

I tried the Traveler 121H with the CMD121P and didn't notice much difference on the bottom but the horn on the "H" is definately an improvement over Piezo's. Don't expect silk on the top or total bliss like a Berg but for me, I'll take the 60lb rig (both combos) over anything else I've owned in the past and that list is extensive.

I do still have a HT-322 which pairs well with the SD-800. I believe a CL106 will replace the Berg some day for the same reason......My Back Is Killing Me!!
  14. JMFSAM

JMFSAM

If anybody out there has both of these and can do a YouTube video comparing them that would be awesome! Anybody? Anybody?