1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MarkBass CMD 151P Jeff Berlin

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Durockrolly, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Durockrolly

Durockrolly

A little help here fellas. I'm a guitarist of 42 years and play only blues jams two to three times a week and a once a month get together with friends. While I have been toying with bass since 1992, never at the blues jams, but I always seem to spend a lot of time on bass at our friendly jams. I have a 1976 Fender Musicmaster and an Acoustic B30 amp. I decided to get serious about playing bass so for Christmas I bought a SBMM Ray34ca and I plan on playing some bass at the blues jams in the near future. I went to GC today to check out some amps and I plugged into a MarkBass CMD 151P Jeff Berlin. I really like this amp and the sound/tone was fantastic. At $1099.00 it's in my price range. I really love the size and weight of this amp. Any pros or cons anyone who's played or owns one can add. Maybe an opinion on another amp I should try before I buy?
    Thanks

[​IMG]
  2. Durockrolly

Durockrolly

3. rdunn84

rdunn84

I've had one for about 9 months, and so far it has been great! The build quality is high, sound and tone are both great and you don't have to break your back lugging it around. I also have the extension cab for it so you can get more out of it if you need to. I can't really think of anything negative to say about it. In the end if you like how it sounds that 's all that matters!
  4. Durockrolly

Durockrolly

Cool! Thank you for your reply. Like my op stated, I did play it and I loved it. 42 years of playing guitars I am all aware of the "if you like the tone then get it". I currently have six guitar amps, all Fender and Musicman. Unfortunately, over the years I've bought at least 20 amps that I liked when I bought them then shortly after sold them for some reason or other because in the end I just wasn't satisfied. I'm looking for similar experiences with this amp and also experiences (positive) like yours.
    Again, thank you rdunn84 for sharing!!!
  5. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

I have that amp and its awesome. Very loud with a nice thick sound. Does great at gigs.
  6. Durockrolly

Durockrolly

Let me ask you both, MostlyBass and rdunn84. I'm assuming you both have the "Jeff Berlin" model with no tweeter. Is there a reason you didn't buy the CMD 151P non Jeff Berlin model with the tweeter?
  7. Davyo

Davyo

I had the Berlin with the NY extension cab and was very happy with the whole set-up,,,, I did how ever switch to all GK gear,,,, just liked the GK sound more than the Mark sound.

If I was buying a Markbass today, or had it to do all over again i would get the CMD102p before the 1x15 Berlin.

In my opinion the CMD102p is the best of any of the Markbass gear,,,, if you get a chance you should really check that one out before you decide on the Berlin.

Cheers
    Davyo
  8. Durockrolly

Durockrolly

Thanks Davyo. I'm off tomorrow, so I'll stop in and give it a try.
  9. Winfred

Winfred

I have the CMD102p. Bought the 2x10 ext cab too about 2 years ago. The CMD102p is an excellent combo, even without the extra 2x10. Smooth, powerful, light weight. The only negative is $$$.
  10. Durockrolly

Durockrolly

Winfred. I was really trying to keep it at $1000.00 but I do have a little wiggle room. Fortunately I don't think I will need an ext cab as the largest venues I play are small bars. One of my guitar amps that I use often at blues jams is 65 watts and I don't ever come close to using it all. Look forward to Guitar Center tomorrow!!!
  11. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I have the CMD102P combo but the Berlin combo is probably my favorite markbass combo.
  12. Winfred

Winfred

If you're just playing small bars, you definitely don't need the ext cab. I regularly play small bars with just the combo. Plenty of volume to spare.
  13. Durockrolly

Durockrolly

Oh yeah. I'm sure I won't need the extra cab. I do love the sound of the 151P though. We'll see what happens tomorrow!
  14. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I just got a GC flyer in the mail and they're running their 15% off sale (valid 2/1 - 2/3). Usually Markbass is excluded but if you mention the 15% sale and sort of hum and haw about the purchase (you may not even have to do that) and they'll probably give you the discount.

If they won't give it to you, then MusiciansFriend will give it to you if you ask for it (even though both MF and GC are owned by the same company they do compete against each other for sales).
  15. Durockrolly

Durockrolly

Thanks Colonel! I mean Freddels.
  16. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

this amp was high on my list when i was shopping for a combo
    i compared this one directly side by side with the mesa walkabout 12 scout
    i went with mesa. the WA beat it in everyway-just my 2 cents
  17. Durockrolly

Durockrolly

If it's the one I see on GC's website @ $1600.00 that's not going to happen!
  18. MostlyBass

Right - I have the Jeff Berlin model without a tweeter. I had the CMD121 with the piezo tweeter before that. I went to guitar center and tried several amps - both alone and with extension cabs. Then I plugged into the Jeff Berlin amp and was blown away by its big sound and power. That was over a year ago and I still love it. I have a second rig with a Carvin head and an Epifani PS115 cabinet. I usually leave the tweeter setting at noon on the Epifani. It's fine but I never feel like I need the tweeter.
  19. MostlyBass

I hated the tweeter on the 121. Where I teach we have a GK MB112 combo. No tweeter and it's plenty bright.
  20. Durockrolly

Durockrolly

Thank you MostlyBass. I have a Dr. appt. in an hour, then off to GC!!!