MarkBass CMD Jeff Berlin Players School vs. TC Electronic BG250-115

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by terribilino, Dec 13, 2013.

1. terribilino

terribilino

Any thoughts?

One's here:

http://www.musik-produktiv.ch/markbass-cmd-jeff-berlin-players-school.html

The other's here:

http://www.musik-produktiv.ch/tc-electronic-bg-250-115.html

I'm looking for a really nice-sounding practice amp which could also be used for for small school orchestra gigs. I'd been gassing for the Genz Benz Contour 500-115T, but that's not readily available in Europe (or more precisely, Switzerland, which, for all intents and purposes, is not really even Europe), and now with the whole Genz Benz re-shuffle, it doesn't look like that's going to be an option.

I've only recently started looking into the TC amps. They've got lots of choice in the combos.

Anyone out there have any experience with TC combos? Markbass stuff is tried and true, sure, but I've read that this new Jeff Berlin amp can't keep up, volume-wise, with other Markbass products.

Thanks!

2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

That's the new affordable Markbass combo. I don't think anybody around has ever commented on it since it's new.
    You'll get plenty of comments (most good) about the TC because it's very popular and quite advanced for it's price range. The Markbass isn't cheap, cost about as much as the Carvin B515 combo which is a LOT more powerful.

I stop by my local GC quite often. If I see the MB I'll give it a run and get back to you. IMO, the only way it's worth the money is if the speaker can take almost all the power the head gives it without crapping, because I don't think you can add an extension because it's only 150w.

3. electracoyote

electracoyote

That Jeff Berlin looks like it would have trouble keeping up with my drummer at normal stage volumes. I have the CMD 151P (the original Jeff Berlin), and it will pin my drummer's ears back. 500 watts at 4 ohm with an extension.

I guess it just depends how much air you need to move. I think the new JB would be a great personal practice amp, but not much else for my purposes.

4. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

5. Register to disable this ad