Markbass Compresor vs Whirlwind OC Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tercesyrev, Feb 6, 2014.

1. tercesyrev

tercesyrev Supporting Member

I'm hoping there are some out there that have used both and can offer the comparison, preference and why.

Muchas Gracias ....

2. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

I've never tried the Markbass but I have tried the Diamond, EBS, Aguilar, Maxon and Boss bass comps and the Whirlwind is the one I'm sticking with. Everyone likes something different but the OC Bass is perfect, IMO.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Tonally they are similar, with the MB being a little warmer. The MB has a lot more control range, while the OC is a better size.

4. 33hz

33hz

What about the Diamond Bass Comp? Is it on par with these two? I need to buy a comp (probably OC or Diamond) but where I live I can't try them before buying on the internet. Thanks.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Twocanbassman

Twocanbassman

I picked up the Compressore per bonomania's review and have never looked back - If you can get past the size and power requirements, it's the perfect compressor IMHO.

7. bongomania

Disclosures:
    The Diamond has the warmth of the MB in the size of the OC. However it only offers a more gentle range of compression, and less control over the shape.

8. 33hz

33hz

Thanks Bongo! Is the Diamond ok as an always on pedal?

9. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Have you read my review?

10. 33hz

33hz

Sure! I was just looking for more info before purchasing an expensive item ;)

11. rmars

rmars

Have not tried the OC yet but after using a Compressore for almost 4 yrs the Diamond kicked it off my board.

The Diamond is fat and tight, more defined especially in the low end. Once I dialed the Compressore in to catch the pops in the high it overly compressed the lows and would dip and swell a bit or the low end seemed choked or blurry. The Diamond compresses very evenly across the spectrum and seems to act more uniform across the neck if that makes any sense. If I had to pick on the Diamond my one complaint would be that when I run the Comp knob where I really like the lows I feel like I'm over compressing the highs. There is a trade off where I set it (I need to try FEA Dual Band).

For my use they are almost opposites. What I like about one I don't like as much about the other. To be fair I'm nit-picking but as good as the Markbass is, and it's very good, the Diamond is just magic in a box.

12. 33hz

33hz