Markbass Compressore: How to change the tube?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DirkP, Jan 29, 2014.

1. DirkP

DirkP

Hello,
    today I wanted to change the tube in my Markbass Compressore, 'cause it starts to crackle and distort the signal from time to time. I thought that I only have to loosen the 2 screws that hold the little sheet underneath one can see the tube. But although the screws were tight both could not be removed, I could loosen then endlessly without any effect. I used the right tool. Do I really have to open the entire device?
    Anyone here who ever replaced the tube in his compressore?
    Thanx in advance,
    Dirk
  2. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

The top grate does not come off unless you access it from underneath. You need to take the sides off and detatch the top from the bottom of the unit. Before you buy a new tube, take it apart and double check all of your connections. My foot swtich was a little loose and as a result I had the problem you describe.
  3. DirkP

DirkP

Many thanks for your support, Twokan!
    Although I think it's really the tube, 'cause the noise and distortion sets in from time to time after minutes of playing without changing anything else.
    Dirk
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That doesn't mean it's the tube. I would suspect the footswitch first. Maybe a dirty jack or pot.
  5. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

It never hurts to have a spare tube lying around so whether or not you need it now, it wont be wasted money. I agree on checking the FS though as this is the weak spot of the unit. The only one I know of actually ;-)
  6. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

DirkP - I had the exact same issue: Without warning I'd get 5-60 seconds of dirt/static/etc and then it would go away. In my case it was a loose footswitch.
  7. cellkirk74

cellkirk74

Resurrection batman....

I have the same problem here? How did you fix the footswitch issue? Just by tightening the screw or was the connection to the circuit board non tight enough?
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  8. ddnidd1

ddnidd1

Here's the footswitch and circuit board. Its soldered in place.

EDIT: The link required a login. I just uploaded the image.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2014
    totallyfrozen likes this.
  9. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

I think there was a problem with your IMG tag - no pic appears in your post.
  10. ddnidd1

ddnidd1

"I think there was a problem with your IMG tag - no pic appears in your post."

Corrected above.
    rtav likes this.