Markbass F500 Aguilar GS112 (2) not loud enough.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by armybass, Mar 16, 2014.

1. armybass

armybass Keith Roscoe and Mike Lull Basses Rock! Gold Supporting Member

I have a Markbass F500 and two Aguilar GS112's that I just started using as my main rig. I play in two bands and it was fine for my main acoustic based (with drums) band but last night my very heavy handed drummer buried me. It has been a long time since I was outgunned volume wise on a gig. This drummer is loud and way too loud for my liking but I can usually keep up with him but last night he lowered the boom. Running the F500 through both 8 ohm cabs I expected the full 500 watts and may have had it but it was not enough. I had the the master up all the way and the gain at 75%. I was audible but had no head room. I think maybe the two 112 cabs were just not pushing enough air. I may try another cab or amp on the next gig.

I was thinking of getting a Tone Hammer 500 but I have heard that they were not as loud as the Markbass? So any suggestions of what I could be doing wrong or what I could change to get more oomph out of this rig?

2. leroy diamond

leroy diamond

Have Used an F500 with Markbass cabs for many years playing in a loud rock band and I never had this problem. My master rarely went over 50% and gain set just under what was necessary to avoid the preamp clipping. Loads of ooomph there.
    I am not familiar with those cabs you are using. Is it possible you could try the F500 with alternative cabs?
    My experience with the TH500 paired with the Markbass cabs was that it provided a little less ooomph and you need to be aware that the voicing of the TH500 is very different than the F500. Both are terrific amps but are designed to do different things

3. wolffire99

wolffire99 Supporting Member

The problem is not your setup, it's the drummer

4. KJung

KJung

Something DEFINITELY wrong with your rig. No way that would happen. The F500 cranks, and the GS112's are relatively high sensitivity. You should have blown the drivers right out of the front of the grills with the F500 on those volume settings (Edit: if the stage volume was stupid loud, you might just need more rig).

First thing to check is if the polarity of one of the cabs is switched. Plug in one cab and play. If the low end and volume goes down when you then plug in the second, that means either a speaker cable or one of the cabs is wired reversed polarity, resulting in one driver pistoning out while the other is pistoning in, which cancels out low end.

Edit: IF the band was so loud that your rig just got overwhelmed, then a different head won't fix the problem. I would remove myself from that situation for sure. One thing for sure is that you were VERY lucky that you didn't blow up those cabs (or at the minimum, fry the tweeters) if the F500 was in fact working correctly. DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rodda55

rodda55

I have a tone hammer 500 and run through two 112's. My drummer is very heavy handed and I find that there is no headroom either. Especially in gigs where the room is big. It is just passable, but I get nervous pushing the volume to 3 o'clock... I don't have foh support in this scenario, it is fine with foh.

7. KJung

KJung

+1 in that if his rig is working as it should, you can definitely lose a battle with idiots that play too loud. Again, a different head would have little impact. Dual 410's and 1000 watts would allow the OP to be just as much an idiot has the band members on that gig:D

To be serious, a DB750 and an additional GS112 would allow for stupid stage volume also!

8. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Hope you're wearing good ear plugs.

9. armybass

OK did a search and found this thread. Followed the suggestion of turning the master vol off. and playing the E string as hard as I can and adjusting the gain until it no longer activated the peak light. From there I could only turn the the master up to about 9-10 O'clock. I can not imagine putting the amp any higher than that. I am not sure what the issue was last night maybe I was turning the wrong knobs (that has happened to me with that amp before). I cannot see those knobs that well in low light settings and my eyes are getting worse. But is sounded loud and huge just now and like I say...cant imagine running it about 10 with the master and the gain at about 1:30-2:00.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/markbass-f500-volume-744357/

10. KJung

KJung

+1 Your description of your master and gain settings scared me a lot! That being said, even the best 2 x 112 500 watt rig (and you have one of the better ones there) will only get so loud. If you are surrounded by idiots, a blunter tool (i.e., LOTS of speakers and watts) would most likely be needed.

11. armybass

These are brand new cabs and cables... but for some reason one of the cabs has the input plate on the back of the cab installed upside down.

12. armybass

that or maybe I had something not working properly last night... maybe one of the cabs was not completely plugged in but it never clipped at all. This amp has been rock solid and when I used it on my gig last week I barely had the volume up at all.

I am not able to handle volumes like I experienced last night. IF it is like that again next week I am going to have to remove myself from that situation.

I have always been sensitive to high volume situations. If I need ear plugs, you need a new bass player....

Thanks for the input folks.

I would love to hear more opinions of the TH500 vs the F500. I love the F500 but am wondering if the TH will be my bag.

13. KJung

KJung

Small quality control issue there I guess. Sounds like all is well. My guess is you were cranking the DI level and not the master or something. And, with the Markbass heads, that input clip light means 'clip'. If it was coming on at all, you can run into serious compression that would sound like 'running out of headroom'.

As long as that rig is fat and full and blowing your ears out with the gain set appropriately (i.e., just below the level where the clip light comes on at your hardest, lowest hits), and the master at 10 o'clock or so, all is well!

With those deeply voiced and mid relaxed cabs, IMO and IME, to maximize volume (and even out the tone), you would never boost the bass control and always have the VPF totally off (counterclockwise). A bit of boost in the low mids (with the freq control somewhere between fully counterclockwise and 9 o'clock), possibly a slight boost in the upper mids (freq at around noon), and possibly a slight cut in treble, and that should punch nicely and grind a bit up top when you dig in.

14. armybass

Well that could be too, it could have been clipping and I did not see it. But I def felt like I had no head room but I refused to turn it up any louder than it was.

That is almost exactly how I have it set. Almost flat both filters are totally off, everything else is flat with a slight bump in the low mids.

Thanks for the input. Appreciate someone who is that familiar with the amp and cabs I am using!!!!

15. KJung

KJung

Enjoy! Great rig IMO and IME.

16. mcnach

mcnach

Or the EQ.
    Not saying this is the case... but the wrong bass tone can make you inaudible, especially with heavy bottom end guitars added to the mix.

Placement of the speakers is also quite important to get "oomph".
    Were the speakers away from the wall? Or lifted from the ground?

Edit: It looks like you've got a handle on it now! I'm with KJung, it's possible you were turning up the DI and not the master, by mistake. I have done that with my LMIII... Very confusing at the time.

17. armybass

You are actually right on target. I usually use a P bass with flats and an Orange rig in this band...as it is a classic rock/country band with lots of loud drums and guitars so I have carved out a nice place for myslef with a P bass and flats... last night I tried the Roscoe and Markbass/Aguilar set up.... I think I had too much finesse for that meat and potato band.

18. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

I gigged for about 3 years with a loud band using a couple of GS112s and a Thunderfunk head (either a TFB750A or TFB550B). With that band, I used a Jazz bass exclusively. The combination I used could easily handle the situation. I could set the gain/master for the gig and had plenty of room to spare.

I agree with Ken about the cabs though. I always had to EQ the head to compensate for the mid-shy condition. I always backed of on the lows, and cranked the mid/low mids.

I am finding the same to be true with the Monique pre that I am running now.

The GS112 cabs are great cabs, just lacking in the mids.

19. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

You can also check if your cabs are not wired correctly as this has happened to twice. neg/pos instead of neg/neg/ pos/pos.

Its easy with a 9 volt battery if you have a speaker cable with at least one 1/4" jack that is just Tip/Sleeve. Plug one end into the cab and the other end goes to the 9v battery touching the sleeve on the negative post and the tip to the positive. The speaker will either exert or invert. It really doesn't matter which part of the jack makes contact with the post as long as each cabinet does the same thing (in or out). Just repeat the exact test on both cabs.

Like I said it happened twice to me. If you find one cab is out of phase then just switch the wires to the correct terminal on the driver/speaker tabs.

Please don't hold it on there too long. Just see which way they are moving either in or out. It will buzz a little so don't be alarmed.

Worked for me with no damage at all.