1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Markbass gain tricks

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Chaddycakes, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Chaddycakes

Chaddycakes

Who else turns their markbass gain up to max? I especially like to turn the vpf up to 8, as I find it really lets it growl without getting in the guitarist's distortion frequencies.

Anybody else have an EQ tricks they want to share about their Markbass?

:hyper::ninja::hyper:

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Still tinkering with mine. I find it is the only amp I have ever owned that I have to EQ so much. Each of my basses sound really different since the tone is so clear...maybe to clear. I will watch this to see if anyone has tips/tricks to post.

3. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Not I. I take it up to growl territory, then back off a bit. My SB2s pickups tend to make the OD sound mush out, rather than stay tight.

I do however use the VLE to cut highs for the DI, especially when using fuzz. I turn it up just until I can hear it making an impact through my cab, which means it has cut off that top portion of the treble range. NOt as good as micing, but it'll do.

4. evenintheshower

evenintheshower

I have an older Markbass head. I find the VLE to be more useful in tone shaping than the gain. I use the gain to help reinforce weaker pickups, but I don't find any advantages for what I do by putting the gain up to the maximum.

Most of the time, I put the gain as high as possible without triggering the clipping light. From there I will use the VLE and EQ to get what I need. YMMV.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Yes - normally the gain should be set to just before clipping for best signal-to-noise ratio. The rest is just for coloring. For my USA P and flats, I normally have the EQ flat and the VLE and VPF set to about 9 o'clock. If the room is boomy, I cut the low bass a bit and boost the low mids a little.

7. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

same here

8. Chaddycakes

Chaddycakes

My first post implied that I put my gain at 10 all the time. I would say that isn't true now. I use between 4 and 10, depending on the situation. Full gain has a nice color, which I have been using with a Boss OC-2. I use the VLE and VLF all over the place for different tones. I love Markbass gear.

9. Russell L

Russell L

I rarely use the VPF since it adds low lows enough to run a speaker out of excursion if I'm not careful. I set my gain to be just before the clip light when I'm playing hard (around 1-2:00). From there it's taming my fingernail clack with the VLE or high mids. And, my latest trick is to turn down the dang 40Hz lows some, especially in a boomy room.

Markbass, are ya listening---my Little Mark III needs semi-parametric mid controls, aux IN with level control, and a headphone jack. Do that to the Big Bang and I'll buy one immediately.

10. Chaddycakes

Chaddycakes

The Big Bang has aux in and headphone out. It also has an effects loop, which is why I want it. I wish they'd make a tube/solid state Big Bang

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I used to have an LMII and I could never push the gain into clipping because it sounded like dogcrap...that hard clipping you get like when you overdrive a digital recorder. Has this changed?

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    TA503. Discontinued. Not everyone felt as strongly about sweepable mids as they felt about paying less.

13. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Are yall implying that a littlemark 2/3 can growl? If so thats news to me. I HAD MY LITTLE MARK FOR 3 YEARS. I CANT GET IT TO GROWL.

14. bradjonesbass

bradjonesbass

SA450 has sweep able mids... I love mine! I think they replaced it though. It's essentially the LittleMark2 with semi-parametric mids. I set my gain quite low (4 or 5) and use the volume to get where I want to be, which rarely gets the volume over 5. I like the tone better that way, fatter and clean.

15. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

The SA450 is a great amp. Here is the replacement: MoMark SA500

16. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Using a LM 800 Tube at the "winter" practice garage. Not really digging it. It belongs to the keyboardist and he has a Markbass 410 and 115. I play a MIM Jazz 5 with SD pups and a couple feet out the bottom is lost, mids get thin and washed out. Sounds like a cheap radio.
    Any suggestions?

17. Lackey

Lackey

Longtime LMII user, and I do dig it, but it is kinda clean. Would be nice to warm it up more.

18. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Lose one of the cabs. I'd unplug the 115 and use it for a speaker stand. Not positive that's your issue, but I would try it. You could also try repositioning the rig. My guess is you have some major cancellation going on.

19. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

You just made me think about cab phase between the cabs. It is not mine but it is a bother. I need to spend my attention to bring 7 more songs to performance level without the sound bugging me ;)

20. Hilton Marsh

Hilton Marsh

I am starting to think I might be under using my Markbass combo. I have the EQ set at 12 o'clock and the VLE and VLF set to zero. My 63 P-bass with the flats sounds awesome. Might try some of the above setting suggestions to hear what happens. Thanks.

21. CapnSev

CapnSev

+1

I would think that only the tube/tube pre models would sound good with the gain pushed. Clipping the others sounds atrocious.