1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MARKBASS GEAR-How does it rate??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Sparty, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Sparty

Sparty

Hi
    Really thinking of getting into markbass (slowly as its an expensive transition). I will stick with my ampeg pf500 for now, but how do the speakers compare..?
    The traveller range is within my budget (at present) but how does it compare to the rest of the markbass range or is markbass overrated.
    Music style is 60's to today's party pop/rock songs(wedding band).
    Unfortunately I haven't got the luxury of trying out the range as the nearest decent store is 50 miles away.
    At most I'm probably throwing out 300-400 watts through some cheap end beringher speakers 2x 1x15 (500w) and they seem to struggle to produce a good sound at volume.
    Would appreciate some feedback on the issue..
    Sparty ;0)
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Markbass heads are amazing, very flat response, lightweight and reliable. Markbass cabs are an acquired taste, they are voiced heavily in the mids. I personally like mine a lot but I prefer my Epifani 10 times out of 10.
  3. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

I love my Markbass halfstack. I use a 104HR with a LMIII. Diabolus is very correct in that it is mid heavy, but I find that it allows me to cut through very easily. The sound fits in a mix very well because it allows you to boost your low mids a lot, providing a thick sound, and then then higher mids help you cut through.
  4. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

I play a MB F1 and LMII exclusively and love the tone, weight and power. Hard to beat IMO.
  5. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Gotta sing the praise for my Little mark III ! Speakers are amazing too if you don't mind that nazty rat fur.
  6. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Wait, did you say very flat response AND voiced heavily in the mids? I'm confused..
  7. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    I'm a big fan of MB heads but not the orange speakers.
  8. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

I love every piece of MB gear that I own! That's a lot, even pedals!

I love the yellow speakers!
  9. dmusic148

dmusic148

He said the heads are flat, and the cabs are not.
  10. electracoyote

electracoyote

You got orange speakers? I'm jealous, all my Markbass stuff is yellow.

Anyway, I agree, I have thoroughly enjoyed every piece of Markbass gear I've owned, combos, heads, and cabs. I even like the synth pedal they make.
  11. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Ah, so he did.
  12. Sparty

Sparty

Thanks guys. But does the 15's carry some beef?? I was thinking going for 2x12 and 1x15 set up (large gigs) to get a good low bass to high Mids range never been a fan of 10's (not sure why) and 2x12 for smaller venues. What do you think..
    I'm impressed with the weight they're coming in at but does that compromise on the build of the cabs, do they rattle???
  13. electracoyote

electracoyote

I use the MB 15s exclusively now. Started with the CMD151P combo, loved it so much, invested in one of their stand alone 15 cabs (w/ tweeter) and a backup LMIII head.

The combo is just under 50 pounds, and I can easily fill outdoor and large-theater stages with a pair or MB 15s.

No rattle. This stuff is made correctly.
  14. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

I have a CMD102HF. I've been using it for bar gigs for a year and a half-ish. If we are playing a bigger house, I go thru the PA. I like the amp part, which is a Little Mark III. If I were to do it again I would still get a LM-III but for the cab I might instead get a 151HF instead of the 102HF.

IMO the smaller cabs unported just didn't have the oomph of the same driver in a larger, ported box.

People in the audience tell me the bass cuts thru very nicely, the mid boost from the cabs is a more modern sound that can be largely defeated with EQ and VLE adjustments. But it is helpful in a band situation.

FYI, I do elevate the combo so it is closer to my ears when I gig.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I was using Markbass stuff for a little while, and I do still like the Little Mark 500w heads, but I never could get used to the cabs. They all have this signature upper midrange response that makes it easy to hear yourself in a mix but just became too much for me to take, but some folks like their cabs for exactly that reason.

As far as heads go, I don't have a PF500 but I've played one several times and I own a PF350 and Micro VR, and as far as clean tones go, I think it's a lateral move, though I prefer the PF head's EQ. But for any sort of dirt, I greatly prefer the Ampeg stuff, as getting dirty sounds just doesn't seem to be Markbass' forte.

Yes, I'm an Ampeg endorser, but I'm pretty honest about my gear opinions. So to answer your questions...is Markbass good stuff? Absolutely. Will you like it? Who knows? Only one way to find out.
  16. pasta4lnch

pasta4lnch Supporting Member

LMII + SABDDI has been my main rig for years. Love it! I had a small odd issue w/ the head a while back where it shut off. Not pushing it or anything. But hasn't happened since. Otherwise built like a tank. Not using MB cabs - avatar 212 or Aggie GS112. I really like the Aggie, the avatar is all business too, just a tad less character.

I also have a minimark I've kicked the snot out of. Still going strong! Was a bit put off by it's price, but now having owned it for years I can say it was worth it for me . . .
  17. bigbottomend

bigbottomend

i've played a few diff. markbass setups and combos over the last year at Jam's and where backline is provided. IMO they sound lifeless in comparison to a tube head.

Granted it's all down to personal preference but i'd take an SVT anyday... no competition.
  18. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

They are unbreakable, and sound great, especially the small combos. I only have my 12" combo about half the time because my friends are always borrowing it!
  19. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I'd give MarkBass that I have played 7 to 8 out of 10.
  20. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Love my LMlll and you'll find many others praise them as well. The store where I bought it said their repair rate is extremely low compared to most brands.

But their cabs leave me scratching my head. I played six or seven different ones side by side and it was as if there was no tone goal. I couldn't walk away describing LM cabs - they were tonally all over the place.

Some of the combos with 15's were gorgeous sounding - deep, velvety rich tones. I tried to pick one up and it weighed a ton. Plus it was that awkward deep cube shape which is hard to load in cars.
    All the others were just ordinary, and there are too many other options for less money if you're happy with ordinary. My vote is pass on the cabs, but buy the head.