MarkBass JB Players School Amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DDS1497, Aug 8, 2013.

1. DDS1497

DDS1497

Any thoughts on this? When shopping I couldn't find any feedback online. I played it against a TC BG250 and a GK MB115 all in the same room. While the MarkBass was lower wattage (150w 15in speaker), I swear it sounded louder than the others. Is this possible or likely? Are watts not the be all/end all measurement for volume? I will play with a drummer next week at an audition and will get a better feel for how much headroom I have. I also played it against the Jeff Berlin and while that one sounded a little tighter and better defined, I can't believe I'd notice a meaningful difference if they weren't side by side. Truth is that I'm in my mid-40s and am looking for an adult-alternative band so if I need more than what the Player's School puts out, I may be playing with the wrong folks. Thanks for any thoughts here.

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I tried one at GC a couple of weeks ago and I really liked it. It sounded very warm and full. I think it would handle small to medium sized gigs easily.

3. Russell L

Russell L

I think the JB Player's School combo is designed to do just what its name implies, playing for events that require less SPL. I've played many a gig with 150w before, but it will only go so far. Nothing wrong with that unless you're playing where you really do need more. It would go even farther as a personal monitor if DI'd unless stage volume is too high.

I haven't played one, though, so this is just my assumption.

4. DDS1497

DDS1497

I meant to add that I assumed this would be a stage monitor only as most clubs run DI for bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

As a stage monitor, I think it would do it with no problem. I liked the tone of it better than the little CMD121 combo. It sounded bigger and not boxy like the little 12 combo. The price is pretty reasonable too. It's about the price of the LMKIII amp.

7. PCR

PCR

I have a MB LMIII and a GB S9. My MB seems to sound louder than my GB.

i think this is because the MB uses audio taper volume pots and my GB uses linear taper volume pots.

So what that means, in english, is that the MB volume rises quicker than the GB when turning the volume up knob. Even though the MB puts out 400w less than the GB.

But the GB is definitely more dynamic, and louder, at really high volume.

8. Russell L

Russell L

Hey, has anyone been able to compare the sound of a Traveler 151P cab to a NY151P cab? I have two Traveler 151P cabs, and like them, but just I'm curious how the NY151P sounds. It's smaller and lighter is all I know. I figured the larger cab of the 151P would give me more oomph, or something, but not sure.

Thanks.