Markbass LMII/III/LMT + Reddi DI

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by michricker, Jan 17, 2013.

1. michricker

michricker Supporting Member

Anyone try this combo for live? How is it? How's the tone and dynamics?
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I haven't used that exact combo (no MB amps).

The LMII/III/etc. would basically be your personal monitor and the REDDI would be for FOH. The tone of the REDDI is phenominal.
  3. michricker

Thinking of that route for pa support but also curious for smaller gigs using the Xlr in on the Reddi right into the lm tube I have for better tone and dynamics
  4. Skygonzo

Skygonzo Supporting Member

Looking to do exactly that. REDDI out to LM800 XLR in. From what I hear, it's supposed to be fantastic. My REDDI's not here yet but the intent is to have both pieces of gear talking for a Sadowsky NYC....I'll post a lil' review for you soon.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. michricker

Heard from experienced pro sound engineer the lm input impedance may not be a good match for the reddi at 500kohms. Any experience with this?
  7. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

To send the REDDI to a bass amp you do need to turn the line level signal out of the REDDI into an instrument level signal. Reamping boxes are designed to do exactly this. I have ordered a couple of Radial Engineering boxes to facilitate using the REDDI as a preamp while splitting it off to FOH. I'll be posting the results when I've assessed them and made some comparison recordings. Whether or not you can do this without unacceptably coloring the REDDI is the unanswered question. My experience with passive Radial splitters and DI's says it's quite likely.
  8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The output impedance of the REDDI is 600 ohms. As long as the input impedance it feeds into is greater than 6K, there is no problem with impedance. The input impedance of the XLR on the MB heads is 100K, or 500K for the models with a preamp tube.

These numbers, both the output of the REDDI and the input of the amps, are pretty normal--so I wonder what the "experienced pro sound engineer" was thinking of? Maybe he thought the REDDI was a passive DI?
  9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The output of the REDDI is already instrument level, if you don't turn up the gain all the way. It only has a max of +16 dB gain if you dime the knob.
  10. jeffbonny

In theory then just the isolated splitter should do it. We'll see. I made sure I ordered the stuff from a place with a very good return policy so if the reamper is unnecessary I'm not stuck with it.
  11. michricker

So having a reddi will improve the tone considerably over using the amp di? It sounds like I can potentially use the reddi as a preamp into the lm tube then??

I have a little mark tube
    And an Aguilar db751
  12. jeffbonny

Absolutely.

General thinking in previous REDDI threads is that it's more trouble than it's worth to try to make it work as a preamp or that it will change the tone too much. It sounds so unbelievably great as a DI though I'm willing to spend a few bucks to try it.
  13. michricker

I am curious now how it compares o my db751 di.

I have the lm tube with the xlr input. Might have to try a reddi.
  14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

If I was always playing gigs with top of the line front of house PA support, I'd probably consider one of these large, expensive DI's like the Avalon or the Reddi, and of course, in the studio, depending on your tone goals, one of these units makes sense.

To use in front of an amp, or with a small club PA, not so much. If you want to warm up the front end of your amp, there are a zillion pedals that will get you there for a couple hundred bucks and with a very small footprint.

Makes no sense to me to use a unit designed as a DI as an effects pedal in-line to a backline rig.

IMO.
  15. jeffbonny

I agree that buying a DI intending to use it as a preamp is a bad idea. That there are "a zillion pedals" that sound like this box though just is not true. Nothing does what a giant iron transformer does except a giant iron transformer. The Monique comes to mind as a preamp that compares to the REDDI but there's precious little else out there that's readily available.
  16. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

In the studio, I would most likely agree. In a live mix, listening to backline in a club, IMO not so much. We are talking about the last 2% of bass tone coming through an amp with 3-6 other instruments in the mix.

Again, everyone should do what they want, and the Monique does make some sense, since it can actually drive a power amp (I think) and is actually voiced for bass, has tone controls, etc.

Sometimes, IMO, we listen a bit with our eyes and wallets. I'm guilty of that also!
  17. jeffbonny

For me having that great studio sound live is probably a bit of a sugar pill. Believing my sound is great makes it great.
  18. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 I too am a fanatic about my backline tone. Sometimes, we have to step back a bit. Again, using a unit designed as a DI as an 'extra preamp' in-between the bass and amp is not something I would recommend, and in my experience with the U5, the Brick, and other units, and also the way most use these units in a live setting with big front of house systems, I would not recommend this sort of unit to anyone for use as, basically, an effects pedal.

IMO, and just another point of view, coming from probably the most gear infected tone fanatic on the planet:D

Again, just another point of view and experience. All should do as they want!
  19. michricker

I guess I'm abit of a tone fanatic. I love the svt and b15 tones even for a live mix. Just brainstorming that a Reddi could be the next level there compared to something like a vt pedal which didn't do it for me. I like having a good di for gigs to as my amps have occasionally died over the years. Plus for recording this unit sounds like it shines.

I typically would use the db750 or walkabout di on the past with good results. I wonder how the Reddi would compare to the db750 di?

I just picked up a db751 coming mon I will use as my main amp. Did Aguilar change anything with the di on the 751? Is a Reddi really that big of enhancement over the db751 di?
  20. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Most amp DI's sound great in pre EQ mode, and are basically a direct buffered link from your bass to the board. If you like a clean 'direct through the mixing board' type tone, you are set (luckily, I'm one that appreciates that 'bass into a board tone). If you want a bit of hair and extra warmth in your send to the board, a unit like the Reddi is great, since even a post EQ DI that sounds great, like the DB750, can fight against a good tone at the board depending on the kind of EQ you use to get your stage sound (which could work horribly against a full range PA with lots of high end and sub bass capability).

Putting a Reddi in front of a Walkabout or DB750....:D.... whatever. Using a Reddi as it is designed, to get a bit of that warm, tube tone to the board without messing with your stage sound, nor imposing significant stage EQ on the front of house system... ahhh... makes total sense.
  21. michricker

Got it. Learned alot from this thread. Sounds like the db751 will suite me just fine. The Reddi looks like a great unit if I really played bigger venues which is rare for me. Maybe 1 to 2 times a year. The rest is med clubs coffee shops and church.

I'm a sucker as many are here for buttery smooth tone and tube dynamics. Just don't like any amps over 50lbs.