1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Markbass mini pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mjac28, Oct 3, 2012.

1. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

2. indiefan4000

indiefan4000

Bump.

I would like to know this information as well. That MB7 Booster is exactly what I need right now.
  3. eno50

eno50 Supporting Member

Amen on that booster,I think that's going to be a big seller...I want one too.....

Eno
  4. mjac28

I don't see any release dates ? Why have it on your site if you can't inform potential buyers about when they can get it ?
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Markbass doesn't feel especially compelled to bring out all the products they show the public ;) I think they send the flag up the pole to see who salutes it before they commit to it. That's cool...they're under no obligation to bring out all their products they show at NAMM, and it beats releasing stuff that ultimately sucks.
  6. mjac28

That makes sense Jimmy but the only knock on their pedals has been the footprint I still miss my booster and when I saw these I was really excited and to mix those pedals in with ones you have is production is torture :)
  7. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

I think it's important to understand that when it comes to Markbass you have an unusual set up in the US. On one hand you have an independant Italinan manufacturer (Markbass) which has an exclusive distribution contract in the US with Guitar Center, Music123 and Musicians Friend (same company). On the other hand you have a very large retailer which moves slow. This exclusive representation contract is why you don't see Markbass in dependendant retail shops. So it's not because Markbass comes out with a new product that GC will represent it. In fact they do a pretty average job at getting to market MB new products. They do come out but very late. The new Tube Marker pedal was announced many months ago and I have yet to see it in a GC.

Meanwhile while reviewing the floor of the average GC, half the floor is Markbass and 15 to 20% is Accoustic. GC controls both brands which must put a tremendous pressure on other manufacturers. Ampeg is still represented but not as much as they should.

Markbass has enjoyed and explosive growth. They've been the leader in many bass amplification breakthrough (cabs with Neo speakers, class D amps..) meanwhile they've also diversified (guitar amps, electronic drums...).

You would think that since MB is GC exclusive brand they would do an amazing job representing them but it has gone the opposite way. Since they don't have any competition they tend to take a pretty laid back approach to bringing in their new products.
  8. mjac28

Thanks that's some great info Guitar Center is a joke the bass selection is pitiful they even stopped price matching on a large number of items I wish I lived in a larger city so I could actually try some high end gear and boutique pedals.
  9. Mingus Addict

Mingus Addict

Just fishing to see if anyone's heard any new info on these mini's like price/actual release date. I'm thinking that booster looks pretty perfect for my needs as well. I just recently saw their existing booster at GC and was pretty shocked at big it is...
  10. mjac28

No word the pedals are on the website I can see taking the pedals to NAMM but don't put them on your website if the pedals aren't ready for market it's taken them years to realize no one wants those giant pedals I had a super booster loved it but the footprint is big enough for two pedals and I sold it. I also don't understand Ashdown and their giant pedals nobody is begging to have those stupid VU meters !
  11. rimbaud

rimbaud

12. mjac28

Sweet lord beautiful I hadn't checked in a while I was so pissed off they may be over here for Christmas who knows stop the teasing already Thanks rimbaud you know us Americans we want it now! now! now!
  13. rimbaud

rimbaud

Well ... i guess even europeans may wait too: you certainly noticed that there's a HUUUUGE difference between the 2 prices :eyebrow: weird.....
  14. mjac28

Yeah I can't figure it out they make great pedals just too big if you open them up they only use half the enclosure?
  15. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Bass direct have a new healthy stock of the new markbass pedals maybe theyd be able to send them to the states? im not sure
  16. mjac28

Great thanks I will check that out
  17. mjac28

Hey thanks Mattbass that's a nice site
  18. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

No problem :)
  19. rimbaud

rimbaud

20. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

I tried the Markbass Mini distortion pedal today. It sounds like your run of the mill tube screamer. Nothing special, which is disappointing since there are a good dozen pedal sounding pretty much the same. It's best attribute is its size but don't count on hearing something new and different.

It sounds like a Fulltone Bass-Drive, Homebrew Electronics Hematoma, Xotic BB preamp, Badder Monkey, Polish Love, Pigtronix Fat Drive....

I noted that the 9 volt plug is a little too deep on this pedal. You need an adapter with a long male plug otherwise the pedal does not power up. The highs and bass tone controls are labeled as tone and tone. High in on the left and bass is right. Why not label correctly?
    It's no big deal but it's kind of strange. The construction of the pedal is very good, it's made of thick metal and it's made to step on despite the small size.

Markbass has put out many innovative if not ground breaking products. Their large footprint pedals have generally been interesting. Their Compressore for example is a superb tone machine. It seems that the only innovation here is the small size. There are hundreds of pedals coming to market but it seems manufacturers have been busy trying to compete for market share with Boss and MXR rather than coming out with innovative products and new circuit designs.