markbass minimark- 2x8 vs 2x6

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by groooooove, Jan 1, 2014.

1. groooooove

groooooove

has anyone tried the new minimark?

i did some searches and found one post in an unrelated thread that they sound very different but have similar max volume.

i've owned a minimark 2x6" for nearly a year now and i really like it. the sound is what it is, doesn't have the ballsy punch of my 2x12" cabinets... but still makes music just fine and is enough to play with. the weight and size obviously are the key here.

i'm interested to hear how they compare. also if any minimark people are out there - what extension cabinets do you use any why? do you play DB as well?

i'd be very interested to hear a minimark with a AI coda extension cabinet, especially for DB. when i was shopping i borrowed a friends minimark and compared it to the acoustic image amp that my school uses, and as you'd expect, the minimark is much more clear and projects better, more overall volume, but does not have that wonderfully organic sound of the AI amps - especially in the lows. i really wish AI made the ten2 cabinet in a 8ohm version, but they don't. it's probably too heavy by my new standards anyway:smug:

so lets here it. thoughts, comparisons, and ideas about extension cabs, for either version.
  2. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

I used to have 2x6" for a couple of days and returned it because of its piezo tweeter hiss, I just could not get rid of it and it's very noticeable and annoying. Although I liked the portability and volume it delivered. A year after that I tested a 2x8" and I liked it more overall, it is certainly louder and seems to have more bottom. But the tweeter is the same...Altough I worked out how to get rid of this hiss rolling off VPF filter about 30% but in this case it lacks brightness. So if you are chosing between 2x6 and 2x8 I'd certainly go with 2x8 option. It's just a bit larger and a tad heavier but louder. I personally ended up with buying LMIII head and NY604 cab.
  3. groooooove

groooooove

unfortunately i need to put size before sound in this scenario. i often have to walk with a double bass on its wheel, a electric bass in a gigbag on my back, and something to amplify my basses. even the 2x6 was pushing it, but it works, and the only other option that i could carry was the AI stuff, but those put out so much less volume.

and i've experienced no hiss from mine.
  4. Tim1

Tim1

I have recently purchased a 2x6 and am very impressed with it. Absolutely no issues with hiss at all. I use it mainly for practice and I am especially impressed with the feeling of weight it puts behind the notes.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Yes indeed, pretty amazing for such a small amp. :bassist:
  7. Dreamsinger

Dreamsinger Supporting Member

Good luck finding one in the US. They've been available in Europe for about a year but they're not to be found in the US or Canada. The folks at GC (US distributor) have no idea when it will be available. I have some ideas why MarkBass is withholding US release but that's another story.
  8. Jeff Scott

We LOVE stories here.......... ;)
  9. Dreamsinger

Since Bain Capital owns GC and as I understand it, there's a big loan due. The scuttlebutt I hear is that Bain will pull the plug on GC leaving MarkBass without a viable distributor. One MI vet I know says MarkBass kinda wants to get paid before they start sending any more product. Who knows? It's all speculation but it seems rather odd that the new MiniMark 802 would hit the street in Europe (in Moscow fer Crissake!) a year ahead of the western hemisphere.
  10. Jeff Scott

Well, if MarkBass is waiting to get paid from GC/Bain first we may be wait a really long time for new product on these shores, I think.............
  11. anton72

Yes, Í've seen it first time in our Moscow Markbass store in early 2013...strange.
  12. anton72

MiniMark 802 is very nice and loud little combo and I was seriously considering buying it instead of head+cab, the deal breaker was a piezo tweeter and I hate Markbass piezo tweeters if you can not switch it off. Their P-tweetered cabs all have attenuators so you can adjust it but not the combos, unfortunately.
  13. groooooove

groooooove

i'm not a fan of their cabinets / tweeters either- but nobody else makes combos like this. their amp heads i swear by, so i do love this company. the tweeter does not many any noise for me, but i'm not crazy about the sound. my "real" rigs use titanium bullet-style horns, so i'm spoiled. overall i'm very happy with my minimark.

for $499 i think the TC is probably a great deal.. when the MB 2x6 was available it was $900 new i think..

i need to get a chance to try some more TC gear just to see.
  14. darrenmt

darrenmt

How about Phil Jones Bass cabs/combos like the Bass Cub, Briefcase, etc.?
  15. GMC

GMC

Eminence make a direct horn replacement for the piezo's loaded in the MarkBass cabs and combos.
  16. Tim1

Tim1

Sadly my 2x6 has just this moment died on me. No power light, no sound. Fuse is fine and tried another lead with no luck. Guess it is going back as it is still under warranty.
  17. GMC

GMC

Are these Mark bass amps a little fragile? Is there an internal fuse?
    I've never known stuff like this with my Trace Elliot kit.
  18. Tim1

Tim1

No internal fuse that I can see and Markbass has a good name for reliability.
  19. groooooove

groooooove

i tried that stuff.... just don't really like it. the speakers farted out on me and it seemed so underpowered.

been using markbass heads exclusively since the LMII first came out, never even a hiccup.
  20. Dreamsinger

That thought crossed my mind but I've never seen one IRL and no one seems to deal them in the Seattle area, not even BassNW (??!??). GC, the US MarkBass distributor, has told me that they won't be floor planning either the MiniMark 802 or the TCE BG250-208.
  21. Jeff Scott

That has been my experience also the few times I tried them out.