1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Markbass New York 804

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by malpasso, Jan 25, 2014.

1. malpasso

malpasso

Hi!
    I'm thinking of going for a mini-stack of either pair of these two cabs. I've been wading through threads and have found very little and dated info about them, specially in the case of the NY 804. Any recent imput from people who have actually tried them? Plaese, thread hijackers, stay away!!!!
    :smug:

2. malpasso

malpasso

Need my rig to be versatile, covering different music styles. I come from a Berg HT112er+EX112ER stack and I'm looking for something that can move more air, and snappier for slap.
    All views appreciated!!!;)

3. Photobass

Photobass

I had a similar Bergantino setup for quite a few years and was reasonably happy with it except for the weight. I replaced that with a TC Electronics RH 750 head and a DNA 1x12 + horn cab that is rated at 450W @ 8 ohms, it has a 32hz low end and is VERY loud and weighs only 34 lbs.
    I had been thinking about adding a 4x8 cab to this rig for a while and the Markbass was on my list but it seems like it's been unavailable for ever and no one has an answer as to why.
    I saw that Ashdown was making a neo 4x8 that was available so I ordered one. The first one to arrive was damaged in transit and had to go back, this one had twin ports but I could not hear what it sound like because it had either blown speakers or some other kind of damage and put out almost no sound on top of being very distorted.
    The replacement I received showed up with no damage and no ports which I found odd and still don't know why (I will ask Ashdown what the deal is) Anyway, the thing sounds amazing even without ports, they call this an infinite baffle (sealed) cabinet.
    It's rated at 1000w RMS and it's as loud or maybe even louder than the 1x12 DNS.
    I just got the 4x8 and haven't had the chance to try both cans together yet but will do so soon. The Ashdown is about 42 lbs and has a top handle and is pretty easy to move although a small cart is a good idea for gigs, speakers are Sika neo's rated at 250w each!

4. malpasso

malpasso

Thanks, mate!
    I had no idea Ashdown made one of those! Gotta check them out!
    :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. malpasso

malpasso

Have had a look at the Ashdown. No tweeter, Guess Id need one, at least :meh:

7. anton72

anton72

When I was buying my NY604 cab I also tried NY804 in the shop and was hooked by its volume and punch. Very nice cab. Anyway, I'm very happy with myNY604 600 Watt RMS at 33 lbs.

8. Photobass

Photobass

Yes, there is no tweeter but the 8's have a very nice, quick transient high end, especially in an infinite baffle cab.

I do have the DNA which does have a tweeter, but I've tried the 4x8 alone and there is no lack of high end at all. I may not be the right guy to judge this but I'm not a big fan of overused horns on bass rigs and mine is usually turned down to about 1/4. I will say that the combination of a deep single 12+ horn with a rather large port along with the 4x8 sealed cab is a really nice way to get a lot of tone and volume out of stuff that is compact and not heavy at all.

Hope this helps you out!

9. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

I only have experience with the 604. I liked it, but returned it to use the cash for a different cab, which is a long story if regret.

The 604 was a little on the dark/warm side, from what I recall. Otherwise, it was impressive for the size.

10. malpasso

malpasso

Thank you, Anton and Photo!
    I've been doing some research in the meantime comparing both NY804 and the std 102hf:

• 804 moves 122 Litres of air per cab, weighs 21,7 Kgr. and can be found for 700 Euros in Europe
    • per cab
    • 102hf moves 137,5 Litres of air , weighs 19,6 Kgr. and can be found at 550 Eur. each

They practically take the same room in a car boot.

All this (More capacity, less weight, significantly lower price) is inclining the scales towards a 2x 102hf vertical stack. Besides, I like the 102hf's being front ported and the fact that it is a contrasted, well tested cab that has made itself a consistent reputation along a number of years.
    :p

11. malpasso

malpasso

Thanks to yo as well, monster!
    :p

12. davideuck

davideuck

Don't try to compare the 102hf with the 804, they are completely different. The 2x10 and the 4x10 markbass have neodymium speakers, the 804 has ferrite speakers. In sound they are really different, the 10" loaded markbass are really bass heavy at the point the tweeter its hard to be heard, the 804 on the other side it's super balanced, it's one of the most flat cabs (of the commercial ones) I've heard. Other thing to consider is that a 102hf is rated at 400 watt rms, the 804 is 800 watt rms, this mean you can push some watts on the 804... I pair my 804 with the SD1200 and this thing has to be heard to believe how amazing it is... I can't imagine what will appen next week when another 804 will be at my home, 1200 watt at 4 ohm from the head through 8x8" speakers... finally I'm sure I'll not regret to have sold my SWR Henry 8x8 then... :D

13. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

I recently sold a pair of 604's. I never had the chance to try the 804's but the 604's were great. It was a great mini stack. I ran a few different amps thru them and they all had a full sound. The only reason I sold them was I ordered a 4ohm TC212. Based n the 604's the 804's should be good. Good luck.

14. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    When I saw Jeff Berlin perform he ran through a pair of 804 cabinets; I was way impressed with them. I think Jeff thought so, too. He is fairly accessible, try contacting him for his thoughts on these speaker cabinets if you have not bought them, yet. The only reason I have not bought them is I hate rat fur on my cabinets.

Photo © Jeffrey P. Scott 2010 All rights reserved.

Attached Files:

15. malpasso

malpasso

Thanks a lot to all those who have come with some info!

Pulled the trigger on the NY408 Stack! :p

Some graphic evidence!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The story:

Got answers at other forums prefering the NY408 ober the 210s. The latter were unanimously described as really low-mid oriented whereas the 408 were refered to as more even across the frequecy spectrum.

First impressions: (take these with a grain of salt, as I have only tried them solo in our rehearsal room, which has got a really low ceilin, resulting in a rather peculiar type od sound)

• Volume:

Could notice no difference in volume with my former Berg ht-112Er-ex112ER stack. This is a good thing, as I hane never pushed the master in my Markbass Momark SA500 any further than 11 o'clock.

Tone:

• Fingerstyle:
    With the Momark running flat, you can notice a slightly lower response in the mids. Not a bad thing if you want the cab to be flat, which is my case. Hence the bottom and highs seem perfectly balanced to me.

• Slap:
    Just what I wanted to get: quicker, snappier drive behaviour: really 4x10"-like.

• Fretless

Strangely enough, and in spite of what I perceived with fretted fingerstyle -where no special mid enhancement was nticed-the NY408 really shone at letting out a cristal clear, thick tone from my fretless.

I'm eager to try them in a band context; both at rehearsal and concert.

16. malpasso

malpasso

...a couple of poins that I'd like to have made clear:
    The Markbass site does nos specify the driver material: Are you sure they are not Neos?

Power handling is 600 Wats per cab, not 800 as mentioned here.
    :)

17. davideuck

davideuck

Mine its rated at 800 watt rms and has ferrite magnets for the 8" speakers and a ferrite Sica tweeter.

18. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    I thought all Markbass cabinets used Neo drivers. :meh:

19. malpasso

malpasso

I'll check mine out to see if there is some info in this respect. How do you know about ferrite thing?

20. davideuck

davideuck

These...

Attached Files:

21. davideuck

davideuck

And this

Attached Files: