Markbass NY604 popping, help!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Flowdopin, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Flowdopin

Flowdopin

Hi All,
    I have a Markbass LM2/NY604 rig I absolutely adore. I had high hopes for using it in my new bluegrass gig. I played a Carvin Cobalt ABG with O-port at bar gig volume.

When I would "thump" the strings percussively between the 1/5, my speakers started popping!

I'm curious if these small speakers just don't have the xmax for the piezo subsonic "boom", and I should look at a different cab for this gig, or if some buffer such as an fdeck or a higher input impedance preamp could help?

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated! I hope I haven't ruined my cab!
  2. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

I recently just sold a pair of the NY 604's and I had no issues with them at all. I was even hesitant to get rid of them but I had finally ordered a TC212 to go to one 4 ohm cab. I ran a couple different amps thru them such as a GB Streamliner 900, GK MB Fusion and a MB LMIII. I play pretty hard and the sound from two of these cabs IMO is very impressive. You should be able to push these cabs with no problem. Good luck.
  3. Flowdopin

Flowdopin

I have been playing with some creative EQing to good results. Rolled the filters all the way off and cut the high/ high mids to compensate. This is handling the low transients much better!

Still curious if a 10 meg oHm input or even a standard 1 meg oHm would help out with this issue? (Rather than the Markbass 500 KoHm input)

Thanks!