Markbass NY604 popping, help!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Flowdopin, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Flowdopin

Flowdopin

Hi All,

I have a Markbass LM2/NY604 rig I absolutely adore. While I usually play EB through it, I had high hopes for using it in my new bluegrass gig. I played a Carvin Cobalt ABG with O-port at bar gig volume.

When I would "thump" the strings percussively between the 1/5, my speakers started popping!

I'm curious if these small speakers just don't have the xmax for the piezo subsonic "boom", and I should look at a different cab for this gig, or if some buffer such as an fdeck or a higher input impedance preamp could help?

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated! I hope I haven't ruined my cab!
  2. Flowdopin

Flowdopin

I have been playing with some creative EQing to good results. Rolled the filters all the way off and cut the high/ high mids to compensate. This is handling the low transients much better!

Still curious if a 10 meg oHm input or even a standard 1 meg oHm would help out with this issue? (Rather than the Markbass 500 KoHm input)

Thanks!
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Sounds like a high pass filter might be quite useful for you. I've used these cabs, and they are fairly competent down low. I think you are dealing with some infra sonics which many cabs would have difficulty reproducing.