1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Markbass or Bergantino 210?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by radiowafer, Mar 27, 2014.

1. radiowafer

radiowafer

I am deciding between a Bergantino HD210 and a Markbass Club 102. I will be running a Little Mark Tube through it. This would be my small-ish/mid-sized travel rig. I would be playing both upright and electric basses through this set up.

I have an Avatar 410 for larger rooms and an Acoustic Image Contra for smaller jazz gigs (upright only), but I am looking for something more versatile for the in-between as I currently don’t have a very portable option (I am a small framed 5’4” woman) for electric gigs. I am often times switching between electric and upright at shows so I want something that has the punch for the electric stuff and the clarity of tone for the upright.

I have a fully carved upright with a very round, warm tone that I use a Realist Clip on. I also play a 4-string Fender American Jazz Bass (passive electronics) and a Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass V.

I play a variety of styles as a freelancer but I find myself playing a lot more jazz, latin, soul, roots, folk, and R&B. As a sidenote, I do a lot of amplified arco playing as well.

Unfortunately, I cannot hear the Markbass and the Bergantino cabs side by side as the store doesn’t have both in stock. This is also a little time sensitive because I have til the end of the week to purchase it at a discount of 10% above cost.

I guess that I should also note that the weight is also a factor. The Markbass is definitely lighter, but I wouldn’t mind carrying around a heavier Bergantino if it means better tone and versatility.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice!

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

If those were the only two 210's on the table, I would go with the Berg.

3. d00dr

d00dr Supporting Member

I just picked up a couple of Bergantino cabs (HT112ER + EX112ER) and am totally mindblown with this setup. I've been a huge Eden guy for years (WT405, WT500, D810RP, D215XLT, D215XL) and I gotta say, this little Berg rig CRUSHES any combo of my Eden amps and cabs that I've used over the years. Truly incredible stuff.

4. KJung

KJung

I am not familiar with the 'club 102' and don't see it on the Markbass site. While some Markbass cabs sound very nice, if you are talking about the 102P 210 cab, I would avoid that (and actually any Markbass cab with the cheap piezo tweeter). The 102P is a very small box that has a very attenuated low end, and again, the piezo tweeters tend to blow on these things.

I owned that particular Berg 210 and it is a nice one. Decent low end, LOTS of even, warm midrange, beautiful tweeter, and decent enough sensitivity that your head at 8ohms should work fine. Also, wonderful small stage footprint (very shallow front to back, and when you put it in vertical orientation, nice near field monitoring). That being said, it is heavy, and feels heavier than it actually is. So, be aware of that.

If you can find a vertical Bergantino AE210, that is one of my favorite cabs of all time. Relatively lightweight (neo cab), and just a beautiful, articulate response with a beautifully tuned low end. The original horizontal version has a crossover that resulted in a bit too much upper mid brightness for some, but is also very nice. The AE 210's are the same size as the HS/HD 210's (HS is the earlier, very similar version of the current HD210.

The current CN112 is really small and light, and sounds GREAT (from my experience with the CN212) with the Little Mark heads, so something else to consider. You don't see them used too often though. Heavier than the CN112 but smaller and lighter than the HS/HD210, the Bergantino HD112 is very nice also... more extended low end and more relaxed midrange than the CN112 or the 210's, and it puts out a lot of sound as a stand-alone 112.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

I tried several of the mark bass cabs side by side, and I found that I did not like the tone of the smaller, sealed cabinets. They were to flat sounding. The 102 HF which is front ported was the winner for me within the mark bass 210 range of products.

7. KJung

KJung

+1 The HF cabs with the true compression drivers and larger boxes (HF cabs) sound very good to me.

8. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

After trying a bunch, the Bergantino cab is the only cab I'll use anymore. They have a size for every venue and hold up very well to all the abuse a cab could ever get. If you can find them used go for it you won't be disappointed. They are a little pricey new though.
    I'm a Berg NV610 and HT322 owner and completely rig GAS free, now if I could only find the ultimate Bass I'd be GAS free on that end as well.

9. flowinowen

flowinowen

I've got a little Mark 250 with the NY 121 cab. I'm doing a lot of rock/jazz gigs with bowed stuff in the mix. I have a String Charger and a Realist on my Shen SB200. I got the Mark for the lightweight travel. I'm interested to hear what you get and how you like it.

10. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Supporting Member

I have an HD210 and have owned the HS210 in the past, very similar in sound if not the same. Have received more compliments on the tone from bandmates than any cab I've owned. The HD210 with the tolex covering is a lot more cat friendly too, she ignores it instead of ripping the crap out of it.

11. CQC6

CQC6

Hey,

After trying the Bergantino cabs: it's the only cabs I would choose.
    Still loving my AE410 after all these years. All the Berg stuff is great!!!

12. chris_b

chris_b

I used to play 2 AE210 cabs. Those cabs made up the best rig I ever owned.

Berg 210's sound great but I'd always put 2 together.

13. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

Bergantino!

You will not think twice or regret it.

14. IanA

IanA Supporting Member

Not wanting to throw a spanner in the works but.....
    I used to own an hd210 and liked it a lot. It is heavy for its size and is a little awkward to carry. I am running a Baer ML112 now, It has better lows, sweeter mids and is easily as loud. Oh and it's a lot lighter too

15. Jbassrockboy

Jbassrockboy

No experience with berg but you will find the mb club is rear ported and I am fairly certain it comes with what markbass describe as a custom horn

It also tilts back so you can use like a wedge monitor which is a feature I like

I have a club 121 and it's an interesting unit that I am still coming to terms with

the more I trial and error with it the more drawn in I am with using it

Rossa