Markbass question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by VintageHofner, Nov 25, 2013.

1. VintageHofner

VintageHofner

Hi All, I just got hooked on Markbass amps when playing a gig in Connecticut last month. Played a Little Mark III with a 2x10
    lightweight Markbass cabinet. Killer stuff! I now have my own Little Mark III amp head (300-500 watts) and want to know: How do the 2x10 small MarkBass cabinet (29 lbs.) and the 1X12 MarkBass cabinet compare? What would be any big differences I'd experience? I play mostly 60s classic rock with a full band (Byrds, Beatles) and contemporary clean stuff (e.g. Tom Petty). The Hofner produces a very clean tone, with plenty of balls when needed. thanks :help:

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Do you mean the little NY121 cab? If yes, then I would think you'd need two of those. I actually prefer the larger 210 cab (102HF). It's not as portable as the 102P cab, but it just fills a room with bass.

3. strappa

strappa Supporting Member

if you are asking about the traveler cabs,
    I have a 102p and a 151p
    the 102 is great and i have played plenty of gigs with it
    it is slightly lighter and more portable (smaller) then the 151

But I prefer the 151 for its fuller sound
    the 102 is more focused and tight
    the 151 has more bottom end
    the 151 sounds better to my ears, YMMV
    They sound great stacked together, i like to put the 151 on top

4. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

I had both and used it with my LMIII: Traveller 102P and Club 121H(discontinued now), 2x10 was punchier and much louder than 121, although I liked 121 more with moderate volumes, it sounded thicker. Ideally you need 102HF mentioned by Freddels, though it is heavier than 102P, but it's front ported thus it pushes more air in front of it instead of spreading it backwords as with rear-ported 102P. And a big + of 102HF is that it has proper compression horn instead of piezo-tweeter in 102P. Personally I ended up with buying Markbass NY604 cab. It's 4x6" tiny 17x17"cubic cab with a decent compression driver. 600 Watts at 8 Ohm (!!!) and quite light at 33 lbs. It IS loud although I can't say it has big low end, it's more low-mid range cab particullary good for articulate finger playing. Here it is with my LMIII on top.

Attached Files:

• mb1.jpg
      mb1.jpg
      File size:
      175.3 KB
      Views:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

The 102HF would be great with a 4 banger P. With the Hofner or a 5 string, 2 102HFs are fantastic.

7. DrSteve

DrSteve

I really like the 121 pared with the 102. I also play a hofner, actually CT and German. 2 cans together are best, but if I only use one can I'll take the 121.

8. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

I would look at other brands, too. The smaller Markbass cabs are not the best sounding ones to my ears.

9. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I recently added a NY151 to my Jeff Berlin combo and love it . 500 watts into 2 easily handled pieces with 2 15s works for me.

10. vstringbassist

vstringbassist

I just got a Markbass LMIII and paired it up with a G&K NEO 212 - sounds great with the little time I have spent with it so far. The 212 cab is a nice size but light weight (that was what I was looking for).

11. BackonBass13

BackonBass13 Supporting Member

I love my LMIII and 104HR....loud, punchy, good low end, and very transparent.

12. Tom Magri

Tom Magri

I have been using the Markbass 121 combo amp with and without the
    121 extension cabinet for over a year now and have not been disappointed. If there is pretty good PA support I don't even bring the extra cabinet. If you are in the board all you need is stage sound and I find that the 121 combo is enough . If not, the sound guy can always put a little more bass in the monitor. The sound options, portability and small footprint on stage make the Markbass 121 combo a good choice, I had been playing through a GK 1001RB 210 combo amp for several years. It was a great amp but a back braker to get in and out of the car. While much less, expensive, I didn't think the GK lightweight options had the quality of Markbass. Checkout the comb amps, they have the same heads as the separate units but why have separates? It's just one more thing to setup at a gig. I velcroed an mxr compressor to the back of the cabinet and connected it to the effects loop. I set it and forget it. This is a very easy setup.