Markbass questions

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bdplaid, Mar 7, 2014.

1. bdplaid

bdplaid

Hi, I have/have had several Markbass amps are are familiar with them, but have a couple of problems and a question on a new amp.

F500: I have one of these and like it, but I think it has a problem. After I play it for an hour give or take, it seems like it loses power, the high end diminishes, and all the headroom goes away. It still has a good amount of volume, but it's like playing with a limiter on. The amp never overheats, is only a little warm to the touch. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

LM 800: I'm thinking of getting one and am wondering about the sound. I know different MB amps can sound different, so was asking if anyone had any thoughts/comparisons of the sound of the LM800?

that's it, thanks!

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If you turn the F500 off for a few minutes and come back, does the original tone return?

3. bdplaid

bdplaid

It seems to. But the "limiting" seems to still be there.

4. Dragan

Dragan

I had LM800 tube,terrific amp!!! recommended!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bdplaid

bdplaid

Thanks Dragan, not asking about the LM Tube. I had one and it was OK, but I'm after something different. I think.

7. Midinut

Midinut

As a last test, with the amp switched off, insert a jack plug a few times into every socket on the front and rear....just to make and break the contacts a few times. Sometimes the contacts are "dirty" or oxidized and working them over clears up some problems. Hopes it helps as I dig MB gear!

8. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

You didn't describe your speaker configuration. Overdriving speaker coils will make them heat up, sometimes to the point of audibly losing efficiency.

9. bdplaid

bdplaid

single 15 and two different 4x10s. all 8-ohm. double 15s at 4 ohm. it works better at 4 ohm and does not have the issue described. Because of this, I'm thinking it's a normal power thing - I'm trying to get more volume from 300w @ 8ohm than the amp can deliver, so it goes into limiter mode. 500w @ 4ohm, everything is fine.
    still, the tone change has me thrown.

10. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

It does sound as if you could be driving that 115 into thermal distress, then. Running a single and a quad in parallel as you describe forces the 15 to handle as much current as all four 10s combined.

As another poster summatized on one of the "410 + 115 combination of the Devil" threads, "410 + 115 sounds great, until the 15 blows, as it inevitably will".

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I thought the LMIII and the LM800 sounded different, with the LM800 having a harder sound than the LMIII.

12. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    OEM Manufacturing Supplier

What kind of cab and what ohms are you using?
    I owned an F1 almost the same as the F500. Mine just did not have enough arse to suit me as well as the LMIII I owned too. They would compress too much especially into an 8 ohm load when pushed. That being said the LM800 is kind of that way too in an 8 ohm load but man will it absolutely pummel into an 4 ohm load. My favorite MB amp is most definitely the LM800.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    You can only hear the difference if your listening while smoking crack on the planet Pluto. :D

Seriously you surely don't believe all that esoteric low mid burp crap all the time do you? :p

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Huh? I stand by what I said if that's what you're asking. And don't call me Surely.

15. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    OK then Shirley. :p

I have owned all three the biggest difference to my ears with the amps set flat would be the F1 but with a band playing you really would be hard to tell a tonal difference. You can tell an umph difference and you can feel the compression of the amp fairly well but not much in tonal difference. We are talking green apples and red apples nut oranges at all.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    OK well fair enough. I haven't owned all 3 but was going by my impressions of them at the store.

17. bdplaid

bdplaid

Sid: No. Single 15 rated is at 400w. GK Neo115-III, of which I have two, and will take anything that's thrown at it. and used either singly or with another of the same that I have. In 8 ohms, a single is getting 300w. In 4 ohm, each is getting 250 watts.
    The 410s have mostly only been used singly, but the same applies - as the F500 is a 500w into 4 ohm amp, each cab would only be getting 250 w.
    Trust me, with that particular GK 15 cab, there is no such thing as "thermal distress." :)

18. bdplaid

bdplaid

Red: that sounds exactly right. Compresses when driven hard. I also have an F1, and it does it too, but not quite as early as the F500. I actually am thinking they are OK, just not enough "arse," as you aptly put it.
    Still, they kick ass when the volume is right, or when the load is 4 ohm.

19. bdplaid

bdplaid

Jimmy: exactly what i wanted to hear. I play a custom P-bass-ish bass (maple neck, ash body, passive, Bart P and DC pickups), and like a bit more aggressive tone - Love the Markbass because they're mid-forward, as they say, and I even crank the upper mids and lows a bit too. The 15" "bark" is a huge part of my sound, too. So the LM 800 sounds like just the ticket. Thanks.

20. bdplaid

bdplaid

I took the plunge and ordered a LM800. so tell me - what is the diff between the F1/500 and Little Mark series - why the size difference? I assume the power amp/supply, but what?

thanks,

21. bdplaid

bdplaid

No one answered my size/power supply question, and I hope someone will.

In the meantime... I did a gig yesterday with the LM800. Outdoor one at that. The short: it's very likely the Little Mark 800 is the best amp I've ever owned, maybe even played through.

The sound in my head changed 4-5 years ago, it went from that modern scooped-mid thing to an old favorite: Mars Cowling and P-bass. I was determined to get that sound. I built three basses doing it, but my amps always seemed to let me down. I never had the opportunity to use these basses though a proper SVT, but they went through a Genz Streamliner 900, a G-K MB800, an Ampeg SVT4Pro, a Markbass f1 and a Markbass F500. Cabs ranged from Schroeder 1215 to G-K 115-III's, Genz 4x10s, and G-K 4x10s. Along the way I developed definite affections for the MB800 and the GK 115-III, though not necessarily together. I even had a Markbass LM Tube 800 back in the past somewhere, but that amp, even though I liked it, never really did anything for me. And after the Streamliner, I'm done with tubes; I'm a solid state guy.

The problem with all of it was the midrange vs the top end: it was either to bright, or not enough "pop," or not a decent growl, or even downright muddy. Then, I hit it. I ran the LM 800 into both my 1x15-III's . Man, what a big sound. Meaty, punchy, great funk "pop," no sizzle on top. Was loud last night, and the master didn't go past 10 o'clock.

I'm still experimenting. I need to run the LM 800 through my 4x10s, but I'm sure I'm right where I want to be with this bass/amp configuration.

Thanks, guys!