Markbass SD1200 anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Thombas, May 11, 2010.

1. Thombas

Thombas Supporting Member

Hi,
    has anybody spent enough time with the new SD1200 to get an idea of wether this is "just" a larger SD800, or the "F500 from HELL!" I'm hoping it to be? i know some of you have given it a whirl in the stores, but has anyone actually pulled the trigger and really tested one yet?
  2. Raggy

Raggy

3. KJung

KJung

I typically take one for the team on this kind of stuff, and even have had this head in my 'cart' on Musician's Friend. However, since I've been burned on both the SD800 and LMT800 (really not my thing), and since I never run out of headroom with my F1 and F500 at the volume levels at which I perform, I'm going to stay on the side-lines with the SD1200.

I'm posting to subscribe though... if this is a 'monster F500', that would be something to behold. If it is a slightly more powerful SD800.... meh!
  4. mothra2

mothra2 Supporting Member

You're slippin Ken, slippin

:bag:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung

Gettin' old and comfortable:p
  7. BIGREDSIX

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

Since when are they available in the US?
  8. KJung

KJung

They've been listed as 'in stock' at MF for a couple of weeks now.
  9. BIGREDSIX

"In stock online" (at Guitard Center). I would definately want to play it first.
  10. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

I tried this head and it was beyond crazy. Sounds just like the SD800, but with a ton more wattage. I tried several speakers and this head made them all scream for mercy in seconds. I had everything flat and the VLE along withthat other strange knob at the neutral position. I was basically controlling the volume with the gain knob. Master was on 3. It drove me nuts actually when I could not adjust the volume with ease. The head really pumps out what it claims. I suggest using this head with BIG speakers. The more the merrier.
  11. KJung

KJung

FYI, that 'strange' filter is a the VPF, and is a very standard type enhance control found on quite a few amps (Eden, GK, Thunderfunk, etc.). Neutral is the 'off' position.
  12. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

Ah! Basically the "Enhance" knob found on other bass heads. I had it completely off then. I basically look at that knob as turning it up let's the guitarists win and turning it down make the bass player win. Turning it all the way down makes the bass player king! :D
  13. KJung

KJung

+1 It is basically a 30hz boost, a 400hz cut and an upper treble (maybe 10K) boost. It can be useful at low levels with very mid voiced cabs like some of the Schroeders. Otherwise, I never touch it either!
  14. mothra2

I have one for trial right now. Have not had much time with it as it turns out, and have not gigged it. That said, very impressed. To my recollection it sounds much more like the F1/500 than the SD800. Really kicks, has little, if any 800 hz bump to tame, and drives my Acme(s) with ease.
    I have to say, though, that the MB stuff drives me crazy with their vague settings layout. I can't imagine experimenting much with competing voice/settings. Very difficult to consistently reproduce/compare.
    GREAT sounding amp though.
  15. Musicman20

Musicman20

I really shouldn't GAS for another amp but an F500/SD1200 are high on the list.
  16. KJung

KJung

:bassist:
  17. Dr Funk

Dr Funk "If you ain't appearing then you be disappearing" Supporting Member

OK I'm in. :eyebrow:
  18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

I recently got an SD800 on closeout from GC. Even though it's the first MarkBass I've tried, I agree that the lows and highs are pronounced even with VLF off. That said, Ken's right that it sounds cool through my NV610 (no ports or tweet), and with modern cabs I can dial in pretty much any clean sound I want with the powerful EQ: that's what it's there for, and it's nice to have two semipara mid bands in addition to bass and treble.

I have to say that the SD800 is honestly rated. It gets amazingly loud even with the clip light completely quiet. Adding 400 watts will get you an extra dB or two, but hey, better to have 'em and not need 'em (etc).
  19. lo-freq

lo-freq

~Subscribed & anxiously awaiting a gig report.~

Way to go Mothra2! -- When is your next gig?
  20. mothra2

Thanks, but it seems I have been in 'everything around me is breaking' land (car, home appliances..the household is in triage mode. That's what I get for being a DIY'er).
    Have not touched the amp since my last post (haven't even read any TB). Been playing mechanic mostly. I'm actually thinking of turning the amp back in, as I just don't have the time for it. Got too much on the burner right now I'm afraid...

Sorry Boys ;>/.
  21. BIGREDSIX

I still hope to hear/read a gig report....