1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

markbass sd1200

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by CaptainSir, Nov 10, 2012.

1. CaptainSir

CaptainSir

markbass sd1200

mesa 410

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

Try it out and see how it sounds. Should work out well for you. Just listen to the speaker for signs of distress and go from there.

3. CaptainSir

CaptainSir

I don't own nor have the access to this combination and which is why I was making a post

4. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Does anybody know if sufficient headroom only describes amplifiers
    these days:meh: cos I remember the days when the word headroom described a complete audio system with nicely even inherent redundancy throughout.
    You don't actually have any headroom at all with this system, so you had better err significantly on the side of caution or set up a limiter at just under low frequency speaker fart. Which will be considerably less than the 750 RMS watts available.:bassist:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

"""let me know any info or knowledge you might have or maybe even any comments or thoughts on this..."""

So sorry to be completely unhelpful. :rolleyes:

However, I am going to help you anyway.

The newer Mesa 410 has great low end, wonderful midrange content, growl, clear high end and so on. I used to own two of these cabs and they were loud and wonderful. No complaints.

I am not a fan of the Markbass heads - there seems to be a loss string detail between 800hz and 2khz. The edgy pick tone seems to vanish with these heads and I do not quite get it. This might be due to my Spector Euro basses, but I have been able to get it out of my Carvin BX1200 heads and GK heads. Markbass heads overall have a great presence in the lows and low mids, but I am not quite sure what else they can really do. The SD 1200 is a CRAZY loud head and you need to watch the volume levels.

The comment about the headroom of the cabinet is not quite on track..... You can easily kill the cab with the head, however, there is no need for a limiter here. Just listen to the speaker - farting/flapping distorting sounds are BAD news. Reduce low end content and/or volume to remedy.

I highly suggest ordering some gear online through musiciansfriend.com and taking advantage of the 45 day trial period. The Mesa 410 is a GREAT choice. The cab weighs 92 lbs - keep that in mind. Markbass heads have a unique tone to them - search the used ads or find another bass player on here who uses the same gear. A simple meet up can tell you everything you need to know about the head.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1, as the op doesn't actually pose a question, I'm in full agreement with gearhead17's reply.