Markbass SD800 a good amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by eno50, Oct 3, 2012.

1. eno50

eno50

Hello everyone , I did a search here on the amp and most like it ,but I could not find anything about the difference between the SD amps and the Little Marks sound wise ..does anyone know that has compared them ,are they voiced the same? I can see the SD amps have a master high and low tone control ,everything else looks the same oh and the SD in a little bigger box.
    I started off looking for a used little mark and the guy at a local music store told me that he may have a customer trading in his SD 800 in a few days and that it was a better amp than the Little marks. I asked him to call me me if the guy trades it in so I could try the amp out.
    I even looked at the Markbass website and it really did'nt have much to say about the amp sound wise just the regular spec's
    So anyone out there who knows about these amps ..your advise please....
    Eno

2. rpsands

rpsands

The little Marks are voiced much differently, but I personally prefer the SD1200 (similar to SD800) voicing. It's a little deeper and has a lot more EQ control.

3. KJung

KJung

I've owned both. They sound quite different.

Where the LMII/III is quite even, warm, and a bit relaxed up top, the SD800 is VERY clean, HUGE down low, and has a very bright but clean upper mid response. I couldn't really come to terms with it myself, even with the powerful EQ. However, I was using pretty 'hi fi' sounding cabs at the time, and it was a bit too much of a good thing. I've heard the SD800 with a sealed one way multi 10 cab, and it killed.

When I owned both, it seemed to me that most of the extra wattage of the SD800 was going into pumping out quite a bit of sub bass. I didn't really notice a lot of difference in 'average volume'.

Both great amps..reliable, high quality. But they do sound quite different, and cannot be EQ'd to sound the same IMO and IME.

4. rpsands

rpsands

The SD-series really want for either a cab that can take lots of sub-bass or for you to turn the bass knob down. It's surprising that you can get a pretty nice sound with 2-3 clicks of bass rolled off.

The FDeck preamp is the best thing I've found for my SD1200. Really makes a huge difference in the sound.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung

I never had much luck with turning that shelving down on that head. Always 'too much or too little'. +1 though, an external hi pass would fix a lot with that low end with many cabs.

7. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

I've been using the SD800 coupled with a Dr. Bass 2460 now for about 5 years or so. It is a very articulate and punchy rig. I'm using a passive Jazz bass with Chromes, and for me it is the right combination of modern and old school. The 2460 is a three way cab - 2 12's, a 6, and an adjustable tweeter. For my purposes, I keep the tweeter dialed off.

8. RotoRick

RotoRick

I notice that when Markbass advertises the SD800 they say it is to be used with a large cab, 610 or 810 or 2 cabs together. But they don't say that about the other 800 watt amps that they have tube or no tube so what is the difference ?

As a matter of fact they don't even say that about the SD1200 but don't know why.

9. rpsands

rpsands

That's just marketing speak.

10. seedokebass

seedokebass Supporting Member

I would suggest a used SD800 for sure! I used one for the last 4 years. Very solid amp, tons of EQ options. If you need clarity, this is the amp.

Or if you need more bump, try an RBI through the fx return. You get the RBI's eq, plus the SD800's eq to really tweak your sound. That combination really pounds!

11. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

I personally prefer the SD800 to the LM III as I find I play loud and keep hitting the limiter which squashes my sound with the LM III. The extra headroom in the SD800 prevents this from happening, but at the same time I don't find any appreciable volume difference, the SD is really just more capable of maintaining a constant sound when being pushed IMO

12. eno50

eno50

Thanks Guys ,I think I would like to try the amp,sounds like it a good amp,power if I need it.. I may hear from the store today if trade went thru and see what kind of price he's going to put on it also.. so stay tuned I'll be back.....
    Eno

13. XXL

XXL Custom User Title Supporting Member

I love my SD800, I use it with Avatar cabinets (1x12 and 2x10) for a mini rig of doom that can fit into any car, been using that for years to great success.
    I also have an Ampeg 8x10 that I use occasionally and then I can really crank the gain on that sucker.

Been rocking the SD800 since 2006 and Ive not had one problem. I think it matches really well with a jazz basses too.

14. ZZZZZBASS

ZZZZZBASS

How do I bypass settings on the MARKBASS SD800