1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Markbass Standard 106HF or Standard 104HF + 102HF

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by REME7178, Feb 19, 2013.

1. REME7178

REME7178

I have a Ampeg SVT-CL That I want to pair with a Markbass Standard 106HF because I wanted a 610 type rig. The 106HF is a 6ohm cab, which I am sure I can run all day everyday no problem with the Ampeg SVT-CL. I want to know a few things and get some opinions before I go with ahead with this cab.

1. Does anyone have an opinion or experiance with the Markbass Standard 106HF or running a 6ohm load through a head tube or solid state?

2. Would I be better off running a 4ohm load and making a 610 setup out of a Markbass Standard 104 + 102 HF or HR which ever one?

3. I know that the Markbass Standard 106HF was discontinued. Does anyone no the reason wether it was slow sales or an issue with the cab?

and 4. Will this "funny" load affect any head in a adverse way long term or short term, limit what I can do latter or cause me any problems.

I can not really find too much about this bass cab anywhere, even here on TB. I play mostly at home and would not be lugging the rig around. I probally will not be adding anything to the 6x10, but could I if I droped my Ampeg down to 2ohm? (that's what I ment by limit) I do play/practice with other people sometimes, will this cab give me problems if we all decided to put our gear togerther and play? (might be a dumb Question, but I asked it)

5. Last question, unrelated just want an opinion. I sold my Ampeg SVT 610hlf (Made in the USA) to go with the Markbass Standard 106HF because the 106HF was in a lot better condition and you do not come across them everyday. It's no skin off my nuts I see Ampeg SVT 610hlf all the time and Ampeg still makes them, but not in the USA. Was this a mistake IYO?

I will miss the Ampeg, but I am kind of a bass gear horder and I am trying to stop. I am not like a greedy miser type horder, but more like a dooms day, what if type horder. All my freinds are always welcome to come play and have a good time. I don't just hord gear and not use it or let anyone else use it. If I have something that I see someone else needs or can use more then me, I have no problem giving it up. (Thanks in advance for your opinions and help, but I am not giving my gear away to any of you strangers)

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I used to run a Markbass 610 with my SVT-CL. It will eventually blow a power tube after a year or so running the 6 ohm load. I would know. Run the head at 4 ohm, not 2.

I don't know why the cab was discontinued, I had an old school silver face black speakers one. I sold dirt cheap when I did get rid of it, great cab, only 70lbs but it was cumbersome to move around. I found it to be a great sounding cab, especially paired with the SVT, got plenty loud and had great rock tone. If you do opt for two cabinets, why not get two 4 ohm cabinets and go for a loud 2 ohm load.

Personally I would pick the Markbass ten times out of ten, so I would say you did well kissing the Ampeg goodbye, but I am sure others will disagree with me.

Hope that helps.

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

That amp really prefers to be run into a 4 or 2 Ohm load. Have you considered the Ampeg 610HLF?

4. REME7178

REME7178

I had an Ampeg 610HLF, thats what I normally play through. I traded for the Markbass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I had the smaller of the two 6x10s (can't recall if that's the HF or not). Regardless, I never really liked the cab. It was always very 'kind' sounding. It sat great in a mix, but for rock tones I'd look elsewhere.

7. REME7178

REME7178

Buy kind do you mean warm. I play a lot of Fleetwood mac, Sublime, and Classic Country. Thanks for your opinion. I thought more members woul put in their $0.02. I am thinking maybe letting go of the Ampeg and not listening to both cabs side X side when I had the chance might not of been a good idea. To me the Markbass Standard 106HF sounds pretty sweet, I can definitely tell the difference between the two. I started this thread mainly to find out about the 6ohm load.

8. REME7178

REME7178

9. creis2

creis2

I only had one experience with a Markbass cab. A friend of mine picked up a markbass cl 108. After we took a look inside, we saw it was make out of cheap MDF. We were able to pick at the wood with ease.

I don't know what their other stuff is like, and I hear their stuff sounds awesome. I would just look into materials if I were you.

10. REME7178

REME7178

Thanks, mine seems legit and it sounds pretty bad ass with either my SVT-CL or my GK 1001RB. I wanted to run it with the SVT-CL, which I can do, but I am being led to believe that this setup would not be ideal.

11. dukeisdog

dukeisdog

I love my Mesa PH610, just something else to consider.