1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Markbass std 102HF/traveler 102p?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bramz85, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Bramz85

Bramz85

Hi everyone! After weeks of searching and reading I still can't make a decision, so its time to call in your help!

Here's my situation; I've been playing bass for about 6 years and play in 2 bands. So far I've only owned an Ampeg BA115 combo and I really think it's time for an upgrade. Some time ago I had the pleasure of using a Markbass cmd 102p combo, and I really loved the sound even after only using it for about 20 minutes.

Since that moment I've been searching through every corner of the internet for information and reviews about Markbass amps. I would really like to get a seperate head and cabinet because it gives me more options than a combo.

It's really hard to compare the reviews of different amps and I don't think I'll have the option of testing these amps I'm afraid. After a long search there are 2 options I'm thinking about;

1) Little Mark III head + std 102HF
    2) Little Mark III head + traveler 102p with the option of adding another traveler 102p/115p

From what I've read a 2x10 will be the best choice for our music (looking for nice clear, punchy mids I guess). Based on the price I would be able to get a second traveler if needed with option 2. I know the 102HF sounds better to most people then the traveler, but we mostly practice and play in small places and I love the weight and protability of the travelers (seeing it has to fit in a medium sized car ;)).

Would you suggest option 1 because it sounds "better", or will 2 travelers come close enough with the advantage of better portability + 8 ohm to 4 ohm? Or maybe 2 travelers are a bit more than needed and the 102HF will a better/slightly cheaper choice?
  2. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

How have you outgrown your Ampeg- are you running out of power, or just looking for a different tone?

If the Ampeg is still loud enough, then your options are wide open, and I would recommend the 102HF. Driven by the LM II/III, it will play louder than your BA115, and the HF is simply a better-sounding cab than the 102P.
  3. Bramz85

Bramz85

Good question. It's both power and tone. It's loud enough for practice and small gigs, but we had some medium-sized gigs and it was not powerful enough for those. Besides that I think the tonal options are a bit limited. It has the style-switch, but with a LMK III I would have much more control over my tone.
  4. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

This is a good question, I spent a lot of time researching it myself. I have a CMD 102P inbound, and will try it alone for my not loud country band. May match it with other cabs I have if I need more volume. If they don't sound great, I'll likely go for another 102HF.
  5. Russell L

Russell L

Lately, I'm thinking that if the LMIII suits you, the Big Bang will suit you even more due to its extra features, and it's only $79 more dollars at most places. As for the cabs, I believe the HF will sound fuller, and will be more friendly in tight places due its front port.
  6. Bramz85

Bramz85

Hmm, seems like the 102HF will be the way to go for me then. It's still a lot lighter then my Ampeg so that's great.