1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Markbass Super Boost: Magical Cure All?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fletz, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

So, I seem to have become a freelance bassist. There are three gigs I am involved with all doing every type of music from Stevie Wonder to Metallica and every thing in between. As a musician, it's a blast and the most fun I've had in the 30+ years I've been playing.

The challenge I was facing is I am deeply madly crazy in love with my 2008 Fender American Standard P-Bass. It doesn't matter which gig I'm playing, I always come to this bass over my Ric, Tony Franklin fretless (although that has been getting more love), or my Jazz. The problem is, the P-bass has a terrific tone. Yes, that's the problem. With the pure P-sound and the transparency of my Genz Shuttle 12 what I am getting is amazing ... to my ear. It is so strong and so "what I love" that I can use it on a lot of the songs I am playing. However, there are a number of times where I need the more classic tone.

I have actually thought about buying (or trading for) an identical P-bass and put flats on it to have a killer duo ... but that is a thousand dollar solution.

So, instead of buying the same bass twice or EQ-ing all 728 knobs on the Genz, I have just discovered the Markbass Super Booster. I was intrigued by it since I like a little boost for the occasional lick, but quickly came to understand the power of the VLE and VPF knobs. I can now kick my bass from clanky classic aggressive P-bass to bass-y thumpy classic bass tone in one step. I am still playing with the knobs but am finding the pedal is ON more than it is OFF for me now.

Anyone else use this pedal and love it or hate it? Any advice?
  2. caeman

caeman The Root Master Supporting Member

Thanks for the review. I see it also has a DI, which immediately attracts my interest.
  3. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

12vDC power requirement is a turn-off.
  4. VeganThump

VeganThump Supporting Member

I was drooling until I read this, blah.
  5. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Agreed. It is the only drawback.
  6. caeman

Charge pumps. They are these convenient devices that will take a 9v connection and increase it to 12v or 18v. I have one with my Godlyke Power-All for when I used to run the MXR 10-band EQ. Why is 12v a problem when there is a $10 solution to it?
  7. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Yeah, I tortured myself over this pedal for a while some months ago. It definitely solves all of those problems you describe, with the DI I needed, too. But like above, 12v wall wart-only was just too big an obstacle for me.
  8. jumblemind

Because it's actually more like $30? Also adds just too much space suck to an already large pedal. If you have a larger pedal board, you're right, probably not too big a deal.
  9. caeman

This seems more like a solution for someone that wants fewer pedals, or maybe just one single pedal (this one) for their sound.
  10. jumblemind

Right, mostly seems directed squarely at MarkBass owners that want an ampless gig pedal. If MarkBass just took away the boost option and made a 9v DI box with the VLE and VPF filters alone, I'd be all over it. I would take a guess that they'd sell a ton more. I love my MXR M80 but would definitely drop it for something like that.
  11. Swift713

Swift713

What I've read about that VLE circuit has me quite intrigued but I'd rather have a headphone amp than a boost.
  12. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I love this pedal but it's size is the reason I sold mine if all you want is a few pedals it is one to look at.
  13. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

That's my deal. I am going for simple and "traditional." I may throw on a chorus pedal, depending on the gig.
  14. Fiset

Fiset Previously A Strohman Supporting Member

I just picked up a Super Booster yesterday and I absolutely love it. I have a Markbass Little Mark Rocker 500 which also has the VLE and VPF knobs so I purchased the pedal more for the clean boost and the DI but I was very pleasantly surprised how useful the additional VLE and VPF controls are for me. I have been able to dial in some of the best tone I've ever had the past few nights and I couldn't be happier. The 12v is no issue for me and neither is the size of the pedal...which, while big, isn't as big as the other Markbass pedals. But frankly, even if it was, I'd still find a way to get it on my board because the thing just kills!
  15. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Various C-titles: Nordstrand Pickups
    Amazing pedal. When I don't get a mic'd cab on a gig, this works just perfectly.

I don't have any use for the Boost or VPF, but the VLE is an excellent speaker sim.
  16. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

i don't have this pedal but i play markbass amps and i really like the VLE. great for active bass users who want a passive tone control - i can pull off jamerson tunes with my bongo!
  17. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

Anyone tried the new MB Mini Boost yet? I have a pedal train mini and am currently torn between which one to get. The downsides of the super booster being size and 12v.

BTW - per the Markbass site it's now discontinued.
  18. Simorchid

Simorchid

I use the MB Booster in my covers band. The clean boost for solos and VLE filter to get that old schools tone. It works for me.
  19. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

What are your settings?
  20. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

Would someone mind providing the dimensions of teh Super Booster? (It's not on the site)... anyone have one on a pedaltrain mini (does it fit)?