1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MarkBass SuperBooster mod idea

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Marcus Willett, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    So, I've always thought the VLE on MarkBass amps is a cool thing, the VPF not so much. The only time I ever want to cut mids is for a slap tone. I don't slap too often (I'll do it if the song calls for it, just not something I'm big on), and when I do, I don't find the EQ center of the VPF (380Hz) to work. To me it needs to be more in the 600-700Hz range. So as a mid cut, it's pretty useless to me.

However, it could be useful as a mid boost, for solos or to thicken up for certain grooves and feels.

Sooooo, my query is would it be possible to mod the SuperBooster so that the VPF is a boost instead of a cut? Or alternatively, if that's not possible, to change the EQ center of the VPF?

I see the pedals for sale used not too expensive, so it could be an interesting thing to try. If its do-able....thoughts, ideas?
  2. aledeville

aledeville

Just set up your sound just as you like it with the VPF engaged. You will then have a midboost with the VPF disengaged...

I have absolutely no idea whether this mod would be possible. I can solder cables. That was it for my technical skill.

But this pedal runs without any problem with 9V and 120mA. They should have mentioned that. Because 12V somehow is a bummer.
  3. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Yeah I think that's one of those ideas that makes sense on paper, but wouldn't really work.

Obviously I would need a schematic and someone who's quite knowledgable about these types of things. I, just curious if this even sound feasible to some of our tech-savvy TBers.
  4. aledeville

aledeville

Pretty sure this is the case :p But it was the first thing that came to my mind...

I never saw the VPF as a Slap-Setting, but more broadening my sound. That's why I never have strong settings. That way those filters are great.