MarkBass SuperBooster mod idea

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Marcus Willett, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    So, I've always thought the VLE on MarkBass amps is a cool thing, the VPF not so much. The only time I ever want to cut mids is for a slap tone. I don't slap too often (I'll do it if the song calls for it, just not something I'm big on), and when I do, I don't find the EQ center of the VPF (380Hz) to work. To me it needs to be more in the 600-700Hz range. So as a mid cut, it's pretty useless to me.

However, it could be useful as a mid boost, for solos or to thicken up for certain grooves and feels.

Sooooo, my query is would it be possible to mod the SuperBooster so that the VPF is a boost instead of a cut? Or alternatively, if that's not possible, to change the EQ center of the VPF?

I see the pedals for sale used not too expensive, so it could be an interesting thing to try. If its do-able....thoughts, ideas?

2. aledeville

aledeville

Just set up your sound just as you like it with the VPF engaged. You will then have a midboost with the VPF disengaged...

I have absolutely no idea whether this mod would be possible. I can solder cables. That was it for my technical skill.

But this pedal runs without any problem with 9V and 120mA. They should have mentioned that. Because 12V somehow is a bummer.

3. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Yeah I think that's one of those ideas that makes sense on paper, but wouldn't really work.

Obviously I would need a schematic and someone who's quite knowledgable about these types of things. I, just curious if this even sound feasible to some of our tech-savvy TBers.

4. aledeville

aledeville

Pretty sure this is the case :p But it was the first thing that came to my mind...

I never saw the VPF as a Slap-Setting, but more broadening my sound. That's why I never have strong settings. That way those filters are great.

5. Register to disable this ad