MarkBass tone-head vs. combo

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tmsbandman, Feb 12, 2014.

1. tmsbandman

tmsbandman

I played a couple of MarkBass combos last weekend at Guitar Center. I love that tone and punchiness, even with a cheap bass (Squier J.) Is the MarkBass tone primarily in the head or the cab? I'd love to get that sound, but I'm wondering if a MB head through my current (SWR 210T) cab would still sound about the same. BTW-actually preferred the 1x15 Markbass over the 2x10, but both were teriffic.
  2. Kevindavid3

Kevindavid3

I would say it comes from head and cab. That's what I have seen.
  3. obimark

obimark

The Markbass cabs are fairly distinct- kind of old school sound- I play a TC Bh250 thru the 210 traveller, sounds GREAT!
  4. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

Majority of feedbacks say that their heads sound even better with other manufacturers cabs. Anyway, it's more of a amp tone that you like than the cab IMO. It's better trying before you buy anyway. I heve both MB combo and their head+cab rig, both sound awesome. You can't go wrong practically with any of Markbass staff as soon as you liked their tone once. The only thing I'd stay away from are their piezo-tweeter-loaded cabs. They all have attenuators anyway but their horn-loaded cabs are better IMO.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I would say it has a lot to do with the cabinet. MarkBass heads are relatively flat but their cabinets have a very distinct low mid bump.
  7. obimark

obimark

One other note- for the size/weight ratio the traveler 210 cab is sweet- haven't seen many lighter/more compact 210s in any other mfr.