1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Markbass TTE 500

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Col Pruse, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Col Pruse

Col Pruse Supporting Member

2. murphy

murphy

I just read a little about here and am very interested
    Wonder what the price will be?

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

This will not be well received on TalkBass. MB lost its flavor-of-the-month status here some time ago.

I'd love to hear this thing, though.

4. Thevolumedealer

Thevolumedealer

Yeah I'd love to check it out too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    markbass makes a killer little amp, and i used to be a fan of their stuff, but imho they made some serious mistakes with handling their warranties in the usa. every couple years, they change how they handle warranties, which leads to mass confusion at most GC's.

plus i see a lot of companies bending over backward for their customers over warranty issues, and markbass is not one of those companies imho. stories of too-long waits are fairly common on here (including me having to wait almost 2 months for my old 121p combo to get the woofer replaced under warranty), and the prices i've seen quoted on here for out of warranty work have usually been pretty high. i don't expect them to do out of warranty repairs for free, but i don't expect repair bills for out of warranty work to be 2/3 of the price of a new one, either, especially when almost all of those repairs are board swaps.

nowadays, everyone has a micro in their product line, and the competition is fierce. 3-4 years ago, markbass had the field to themselves pretty much, but those days are over, so naturally it's going to cut into their market share. but i'm convinced that markbass would still be flavor of the month if they had stepped up their after-sale game. it was not handled well at all imho.

7. murphy

murphy

mmmmmm....food for thought.

8. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

I don't disagree with you, Jimmy. There are a couple companies going to ridiculous measures to provide exceptional service. Good for them!

Markbass came to the US essentially as a GC brand, so there was bound to be trouble sooner or later.

I have a little different perspective, though. A long time ago, my grandfather was a TV repairman. Televisions used vacuum tubes and had lots of standard parts, so repairs were practical. These days, Tvs are made of printed circuit boards and specialized parts. If your TV dies out of warranty, you are probably going to replace it. If you can find a repairman, you'll end up paying almost as much as it cost new. So you buy a new one, and along with it you enjoy the benefits of the newer technology.

Modern bass amps, especially micro amps, are taking us in the same direction. If your amp fails out of warranty, it is not a matter of replacing a tube or output tranformer any more. It requires a circuit board or other custom part that might not be available in the US. So you buy a new one, and enjoy the benefits of the newer technology.

I love that GK and GB go so far above and beyond to take care of their customers, but I don't fault MB for not. All IMHO, of course.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    well it's a little tough to lay that personal touch on usa customers when you're basically a small company in italy trying to take care of folks all over the world. and i think markbass shouldn't have to eat repair costs for out of warranty stuff. but the costs should be in line with the price of the amp, and it shouldn't be tough to get taken care of.

10. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist and MI Professional... see profile
    Genz Benz has usurped the throne in popular opinion.... Personally (IMHO IME etc) Genz Benz makes a better sounding amp when comparing models apples to apples with MB, and I've found pretty much all of MB's cabinets lacking, where as I find most of the GB cabinets to be STELLAR.... with comparos here and elsewhere to much more expensive, boutique cabinets.

Many bass gear manufacturers make killer heads but drop the ball completely the design & execution of their speaker cabinets... Markbass and Mesa Boogie being two of those....

+1

And again, GB being their closest competitor... that's a customer service dept that's hard to compete with!!

Again IMO / IME etc etc

11. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    OEM Manufacturing Supplier
    Looks like a step in the wrong direction but I'm mistaken quite often.

Over 11 pounds, and that same anemic power section.

12. Col Pruse

Col Pruse Supporting Member

yeah, 11 lbs, thing is a backbreaker... ;)

13. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Anemic power section? I really have to wonder out loud (again) how loud some of you guys are trying to be. My LMII is easily the loudest amp I have owned. With just two 112 cabinets, it can do a medium sized room without PA support. In a small room, I can just us a single 112. For larger stuff, outdoors, or just when I feel the need to be ridiculously loud, I can run my 810e. The MB will drive that cab every bit as well as my CL, volume-wise. Of course, I'm not trying to use my bass rig to peel the paint off the walls, and I'm not competing with multiple 412 cabinets.

I think the power section is fine for many. I suspect this will be priced a little higher tan the competition, though. I'm guessing this will be a $1200 head.

14. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Tough? Maybe, but they could just hire a few people in the US to handle PR and take care of repairs. No I think it is just a different philosophy. MB amps are appliances. When they fail, you don't fix them; you replace them. It is up to the consumer to decide whether they will accept this model. I would say the more vocal segment of Talkbass membership does not.

15. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist and MI Professional... see profile
    +1

:p

I for one, find the Hypex output modules to be the least "beefy" or "weakest" of the SMPS and / or Class D output modules you find OEM in the microamps.... with the Bang & Olufsen ICEpower output modules (Genz Benz, Bergantino Ip series, GK etc) being the strongest. Everyone's ear is different but the majority here at least seem to agree....

As far as overall power needed.... the GB STL or STLMX 6.0 through an Uber 410 is loud enough for most situations, but when Im on the road I use an Ampeg Tube preamp with a 1,200 watt PA power amp and an SVT-810, as I never really know what kind of PA support I.m going to end up with. The new STLMX 9.2 and a UB-810 will most likely be replacing the Ampeg setup very shortly tho.

But more importantly..... you seriously feel like your MB is as loud or louder than an Ampeg SVT-CL through an 810??? I think you may wanna check your tubes man.... sounds like at least 3 of them aren't working!! :D

16. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

No question, other amps are louder than a 500 watt MB. I've never owned one, nor do I need one. And yes, my MB can hang with my CL volume-wise. My CL reaches a point with the 810 where it quits getting louder and starts getting fatter, if that makes any sense.

So far as this new MB head goes, I fail to see how it is missing the mark. It appears to be in the same vein as the Streamliner, which is the current darling here. 900 is a more popular number than 500 or 600 on the forums lately, but MarkBass has been successful with a five hundred watt head or two. And I keep hearing about a certain 300 watt head that isn't quite as light or powerful as the competition.

Oh, and +1 to getting my CL serviced. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with it, but it is a '94 model, so I'd say it is due.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    my svt is in top top shape and had just come out of the shop when i tested its clean volume limit vs the lmii, and the lmii just barely got a tiny bit louder. but the lmii stops dead right at that point and the svt keeps going and still sounds good. both of them got way louder than i'll ever need, though ;)

18. cellkirk74

cellkirk74

I played that amp yesterday at the Musik Messe Frankfurt, a trade show like NAMM over here in Germany. They had it at the Markbass booth with a special 15' Cab with tweeter.

That is a killer sounding and light amp. I was very impressed. The Price over here should be around 900 to 1000 Euros, and I believe it may be about the same in $ in the states.

I just can't wait to compare it against the streamliner.

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

I have and have used an LMII for the past few years...until recently. I've just moved up to something with a bit more headroom...a Peavey IPR-3000. 3kw of power amp for 7 pounds. I thought the LMII was loud before that.

What did drive me nuts was the power amp limiting in the LMII. Anytime I hit something low it felt like the carpet was being pulled out from underneath my feet. Not so much anymore.

Also, the LMII even without pushing had some kind of weird clipping that would present itself when I errantly dug in on occasional notes. Not in the preamp, but maybe in the power section. It also drove me nuts and I don't get that at all anymore.

20. mentalpatient

mentalpatient Banned

This amp sure looks interesting on paper. I'm looking for something valve like to drive a NV412. Anyone done this with the TTE500, I'm guessing the voicing goes from clean/LMIII to some grit ?

Or should I be looking at a SVT7/SVT3 Pro ?

21. spufman

spufman

It's somewhat annoying that my F1's power light doesn't always work (switch issue, I presume), but the thing sounds fantastic, is loud, versatile enough for me, nicely sized and solid as could be. MB is still cool in my book.