markbass tuner out

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bigshawn, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Bigshawn

Bigshawn

Hey guys maybe stupid question but When I plug in my korg rackmount tuner into my little mark iii tuner out jack the mute doesn't work on the tuner. is there another way I should hook it up or am I missing something obvious. thanks
  2. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

The tuner out is an instrument level out from the amp. The tuner sits by itself so the mute has no effect - the tuner output is not connected.

If you want to use the mute of the tuner, you need to connect -

Bass > Tuner > Amp input
  3. jefkritz

jefkritz

Media:
    Albums:
    i don't know the little mark iii specifically, but it sounds like you're sending the tuner out from the mark iii into the tuner, and then sending the tuner output back into the amp somehow.

if this is true, unplug the cord sending the tuner output back into the amp. there should be a 'tuner' button, or something along those lines, that will mute the amp and still send signal to the tuner.

or do what bassamatic said.
  4. Mike_D

Mike_D

Bassamatic is correct, the typical arrangement would be to connect your bass to the front input of the tuner with tuner output going to amps instrument input. Alternately, you should be able to connect the amp 'send' to the tuner line input and the tuner output to amp 'return' (bass would then be plugged into amp as usual).
  5. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Might not get the best results going this route, as the effects loop is parallel on the Little Mark heads. For the mute on the tuner unit to function for the rig, the only option would indeed be using the regular instrument input.
  6. Bigshawn

Bigshawn

that's what I did bass into the in on the back of the tuner and the tuner out to the input of the amp now the mute works , But there is a bit of a distorted signal coming through the speakers when mute is on. I have my compressor running in effects loop . Thanks for the suggestions
  7. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Media:
    Lemme get this straight, you're running your bass into a rackmount tuner and then into the front of the amp? No wonder you're getting some distortion. If your amp has a mute button, use that instead of the tuner mute. Plug your bass into the amp input and just run a single balanced cord from the tuner out jack into your tuner. That removes one piece from the signal chain and should give you a cleaner sound.

Unless your amp doesn't have a mute switch, this way should work/sound better.

Or, leave it the way it is and ignore everything I said....;)

Edit: ok, so the LMIII doesn't have a mute switch(really? :eyebrow:), so really, forget what I just said...
  8. Mike_D

Mike_D

I did not know that. I actually hooked my tuner to both of my amps that way and verified that it worked before suggesting it but I do not have any LM amps. I always just expect that to be a clean break between preamp and power amp.

Regarding the distorted signal, if the OP is running cables from the front of the rack to the back and they are laying on top of the amp the cables may be picking up hum from transformers inside. This would be worse if he is using a long instrument cable and coiling on top of a live piece of gear. Just a thought.
  9. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Why would you not use the input on the front of the tuner?
    Then run the Output from the back to Amp Input.
    This puts the tuner mute in the circuit.

There -is- an Input on the back of the tuner - it's kind of the "secondary" input - active only when there is nothing plugged into the front jack. I've actually never tried mute with that input active...
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Marco doesn't get the fascination with mute switches for the tuner and probably never will.
  11. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Media:
    I know you're right, but that's just odd considering SOME of his amps DO have a mute switch(LM Tube, Tube 800, Big Bang, and Multiamp). I did own a Tube 800 for a while, it was a great amp. That's been the extent of my Markbass usage...

Don't most modern popular amps come with a mute switch/button of some kind? I'm curious now...:bag:
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    He only started adding mute switches to some of his amps after so many people complained you couldn't mute and tune with the tuner out.