1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Markbass VLE and VPF filters

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by robchorz, Apr 22, 2011.

1. robchorz

robchorz

For Markbass amps, what would you reccomend the VLE and VPF filters be set at for the following types of sounds:
    Old Led Zeppelin
    Rush
    Classic Reggae
    Beatles
    Police
    Iron Maiden

I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks.

2. lbwdog

lbwdog

You're kidding.....right?

Please realize that any, and all EQ settings depend on many variables including the room, speaker cabs, the instrument, you're playing, technique, etc......:rolleyes:

3. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

4. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

VLE turned up half way or more for Reggae. Otherwise, from your list, I don't really know. I use both filters very sparingly.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lbwdog

lbwdog

Seriously....Just experiment with the filters with your rig. The VLE does a great job of rolling off some of the treble, so probably good for most of "classic" styles.

The other filter is a tad more complicated, but essentially cuts mids, while boosting lows and highs. I rarely use mine, but when I do, it's very sparingly.

7. rpsands

rpsands

Wherever you like the sound :)

8. robchorz

robchorz

Not the answers I was looking for. Here is what I found so far and I am looking for reassurance:
    Led Zep VLE at 10:00 VPF at 9:00
    Rush VLE at 12:00 and VPF and 12:00
    Reggae VLE at 11:00 and VPF at 8:00

9. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

There are no Zep, Reggae, Police, Iron Maiden, etc. VLE/VPF settings.

10. lbwdog

lbwdog

I don't think you can play Rush with a MarkBass amp. ;)

11. robchorz

robchorz

I don't know about that. With my Rick, I think I'm getting close to the early Rush sound. I think I just need a bit more growl.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    well growl is not something you'll get out of a markbass amp, sorry. all clean all the time.

but as far as your question, the biggest thrill for me when i started was trying to cop different tones by moving knobs my own self and/or changing the way i play. asking for help with settings does no good because none of us play like you do, so our version of those settings would be totally different. to me, you're kind of cheating yourself out of half the fun of playing.

13. Russell L

Russell L

All I can tell you is that both filters at noon is a good sound. I play mostly, though, with the VLE at noon or more and the VPF off or maybe at 9 o'clock. There's no way to tell you how to set them for different band sounds, especially the Beatles. Plus, any of my settings are meaningless to anyone else since I play with my nails as well as the meat of my fingers. I have to watch the treble.

But, good hunting.

14. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

I have both the VLE and VPF generally set to zero. I guess that doesn't help you much though.

15. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13

I agree with a few here that have said just move them around together & see what YOUR EARS enjoy. On my LMT800, I keep the VPF at ZERO almost always & the VLE somewhere between 10 & 1 o'clock. (for what it's worth, I'm running thru an Ampeg SVT-410HLF with a Lacade Decade & about 10 pedals...) I use a VT Bass to dial in the dirt with my signal, but one thing is for sure --- these are two wondefully versatile filters!!

And as a side note --- there's no such thing as a stupid question. Some of the answers were written here in humor & should def be taken with a grain of salt.

16. Kellymack

Kellymack Supporting Member

Recently got my LM 3, I'm a novice,(5 months).
    I like the VLE at 1:00; VPF off, for a vintage sound.
    VPF at 1:00 with VLE off for a more modern clean sound...

17. busterrabbit

busterrabbit

You need to use your ears!

As Mark Bass fan I'd say that given your choice of music you've started from the wrong place; a modern clean transistor amp. You would be better off with an old tube amp, an Ampeg, Fender, or similar, and probably 15" speakers, and perhaps flatwound strings!

You are trying to mimic different styles of bass players using different equipment, and don't forget that in a recording studio the bass will be both miked up and DI'd so you're going to need plenty of settings to sound like any of them!

Like I say, use your ears, they will tell you all you need to know, after all that's what your audience will be using!

18. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

:D

Oh I can squeeze Geddy through my Markbass!

And, I only use the VPF filter sparingly when I slap as it cuts mids and boosts highs and lows. The VLE is great for rounding off the treble as others have said, so I use that on some songs in my cover band, but again sparingly. Most times those filters are off.

19. Stingray Fan

Stingray Fan

Just stumbled across this thread; I have a LM800 and I never even touched the VLE or VLP knobs because I didn't really know what they were all about. Always have them set on zero.

What I use for a "vintage" sound is a Sansamp Bass DI pedal. Turns any solid state head into a tube head with a few knobs and a stomp switch....

20. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

I leave the VLE set at 9 oclock. VLF at zero.
    A little VLE goes a long way to open up some bottom end fullness to my amp tone.

21. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

I like just a little of each filter with the EQ basically all at noon.