1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Markbass vs Aguilar vs Ampeg vs TC Electronics

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by wattsman, Feb 18, 2014.

1. wattsman

wattsman

HI,
    I've been around as a musician/guitarrist and are now moving to bass. I have an electronic/rock band and want to upgrade my rig. I'm currently using a Marcus Miller jazz bass with a TC BG250. I'm ok for rehearsals, however, i want to upgrade the combo to a head/cab for the live gigs.

I looking for a used rig that i can get for around 700-1000 dlls and i specially want it to be light in weight since i have back problems.

I come from a rock world so of course i dig the Ampeg sound, however, i don't want to get the huge svt/8x10 etc and i'm open to a different flavor, but not dramatically different, however i need the sound to be as deep as possible.

So my research tells me that i can get the following options and i want your opinion:

1. Markbass Little Mark III and Traveler 12/15
    2. TC Electronic rh450 and RS210
    3. Aguilar tone hammer 350 and Aguilar GS115
    4. Ampeg Portaflex PF350 and 115

Which one will get me that deep, rich low end sound, give me good features, have good quality and mix well with my rocker roots..

thanks in advance for your help.
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

An Aggie GS115 is not lightweight, so you may want to skip that cab.
  3. wattsman

wattsman

you right i meant 112
  4. 2behead

2behead

I just picked up a bag end 1-15 cab and is is sooo small. I think it weighs is the upper 40's and it nails the rock tone. I got mine for $100 but I think they normally run $150-300 used. I was blown away when I plugged in. It's 18x18x15
  5. bassgod0dmw

Your BG250 would probably be a better choice than the TH350 & GS112 for gigging.

I would not be able to gig in a rock band with a single 12" speaker
  6. TrickPanda

TrickPanda

Have you considered a Genz Benz head and a couple of 1x12 cabs? My Streamer 600 rocks :bassist:
  7. Quaff1

Quaff1 Supporting Member

I'd recommend PF 500/800 with 2 115's and a VT bass pedal

This will give you the great Ampeg tone, get plenty loud, flexibility to deal with almost any situation, pretty easy to move around and still affordable

This is what I ended up with after checking out the other options you were considering

I have been pretty pleased with my decision

Jason
  8. zacinaction

zacinaction Supporting Member

I've owned most of these (or similar stuff made by the same manufacturer) and in my opinion the TC Electronic stuff comes closest to nailing the tubey Ampeg tone in a smaller/lighter package.
  9. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

One, I suggest buying used.

Two, I suggest getting 2 smaller cabs rather than 1 big cab. Saves the back.

Three, separates rather than combo and extension. Allows some flexibility come trading or repair time.

I like the Markbass LM-III head, especially when paired with a Tech21 Sansamp or VT Bass pedal. Think 2 x 210 or 2 x 115 for a good mix of "air moved" and "back pain avoided". Yes, an 810 or 2 x 410 would be louder. But it would be heavier too. Be open minded on the brands, even used it will be hard to assemble a decently loud rig with those brands.
  10. vin*tone

vin*tone Supporting Member

Definitely not the TC.

That said - a big thunderous low end is overrated on stage in full band context.
  11. wattsman

wattsman

excellent comments!! keep them coming please, its great to have a lot of different points of view...
  12. Sollid

Sollid

The Tc RH450 is probably the closest thing to SVT-like sound you can get without it being a tubeamp weighing a ton. The presets, the tuner and the compressor are just bonuses on top of the awesome tubelike tones of this amp.
  13. Dragan

Dragan

Plus 1 on comment that TC wont deliver low end,especially with 2x10 cab,and I also agree about having smaller rig for your spine longevity,especialy if you have back problems already. Having said that, I would reccomend something I am giging on right now,which is Mark Bass LM3 and club 121. Great sound,loud and portable. For bigger venues just add another 12 and get quality DI box such as Radial and you are all set.
  14. Sollid

Sollid

The Tc RH450 is probably the closest thing to SVT-like sound you can get without it being a tubeamp weighing a ton. The presets, the tuner and the compressor are just bonuses on top of the awesome tubelike tones of this amp.
  15. Jheake

Jheake

The GK MB500 with a Neo 115 can get you there as well.
  16. Eublet

Eublet

+1. The Aggie rig would sound much better, but a single 112 or 210 is NOT the cabinet for a rock band to say the least.

I've got a BG250, and it won't cut it either in that environment.

IMHO you need a 212, a 410, or bigger. A single 115 might get it done for some people, but it needs to be a big 115 with a lot of power driving it (not something like the BG250).

I also would NOT consider the Aggie GS line for rock applications. A pair of DB112's or a DB212 however would be absolutely brutal with a TH500 for rock.
  17. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

I currently rock a TH-350 and a pair of DB112NT's (2x12) in a funk/rock trio, and recently an indie rock band... The amp is stellar...
    You definitely need two 112's with the 350 in a rock scenario... One cab is plenty for rehearsal and small gigs with the trio but I tried to rehearse with one cab with the indie band and was pushing the amp and straining to hear as the guitarist was playing in a similar range plus distortion. If you can push your budget to get the TH-500 it will give you more grunt if you do go one 112 cab and give you added flexibility and power with a pair.
  18. vin*tone

vin*tone Supporting Member

I tried the modular approach but it didn't really work as advertised. Carrying 2 112's (I had 2 Aguilar DB112s) is far, FAR more work than pushing a 410 along the road with wheels on it.

I now have a 210 small rig and 410 big rig. Works beautifully and is not much more expensive than 2 112 cabs.
  19. bassgod0dmw

Word. I'm so much happier with a single cab than with two.
  20. ProdigalBassman

ProdigalBassman

Hi Wattsman!

Sounds like you're looking for the same tone I am with the same requirements: not too heavy; not $$$; nice thick full sound.

1st - What is it about the BG250 that is wanting? That may help decide what to get.
    2nd - IF you like the BG250 tone (I like mine a lot), but need more volume, might you consider a 2nd BG250 and stack them? At 35lb each they're easy to move. And if one amp goes out, you still have one to keep going and plug into your PA. Or is this crazy? :confused:
    3rd - If the BG250 volume is inadequate for your needs, you're going to need a lot more power and speaker area to get a noticeable difference. I did a side by side w/ my BG250 and Ibanez Promethean half stack (350W into 8ohm 410cab). The Promethean half stack was a touch fuller sounding but it was barely any louder (and much more $$ and twice as heavy). But it was clear to me that to get noticeably louder I'd need 500W.
    4th - How about a 500W head into the TC Electronics 410 cab (59lb; $500 new; 4 ohm i.e. pull full power out of most heads as opposed to an 8ohm cab)? Haven't tried this myself, but I like TCE's sound.
    5th - Fender's newly announced re-engineered Rumble series has a 39lb 1x15cab ($300 new; rated at 300W continuous - you might want 2, it's 8ohm). They also announced a new 500W Rumble head ($400).

Peavey just announced a couple of new 1000W heads rumoured to be ~$500 street. There's also the Hatke LH500 or LH1000 heads, both less $$$ than the boutique brands but used by the likes of Billy Sheehan and Victor Wooten.

Good luck and have fun picking out your new rig!! :hyper: