1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

MarkBass vs. Mesa?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ndthorpe1, Jun 4, 2013.

1. ndthorpe1

ndthorpe1

So I'm looking for a good rig to buy, planning on getting a 4x10 cab and a good head. I'm looking at a markbass 4x10 with an 800 watt "little mark" head. I also played a mesa 4x10 with the M9 Carbine head on it, and both sound great. I know markbass is lighter, but does that have affect the quality? Also, the mesa rig is about 700$ more expensive.

Thanks in advance!

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Which one sounded better to you?

3. iualum

iualum

Let's see...

The Markbass+Markbass sounded great to you.

The Mesa+Mesa sounded great to you.

The Mesa setup is $700 more than the Markbass setup.

I'm gonna go way out on a limb here & say you should pocket the 7 bills & do the Markbass. :D

4. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

you are supposed to write what style of music you play in the first sentence, so we can ignore the rest and suggest some 80lb all tube head lol

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I use the keyboardists LM800 tube at his place during the cooler months here. I always take my rig for gigs and can't wait for the heat so I don't feel obligated to use his amp. If you have the cash for the Mesa, go Mesa.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I would take the Markbass head but I don't know if I would take the cab. I like my Markbass cab but it has a noticeable mid range bump, I like my gear transparent so it is not my favourite cab and only sees use during practice not gigs. It will probably get replaced shortly by the fEARful I'm building.

Weight has no impact on sound in my experience, my 8lb Markbass head sounds way better than my old 100 lb SVT-CL in my opinion. Which is the only opinion that matters.

8. KJung

KJung

Zero impact on quality. Actually, the M9 has a relatively checkered reliability record. The LM800 is hi passed quite a bit higher, so won't do the massive low end wump of the M9, but IMO that often gets in the way anyway, and most cabs can't really handle it. Between those two, it would be the LM800 all the way for me personally (NOT the LMTube800, which is a bit too clacky up top for me, and to my ear, the tube does very little in that head).

IMO and quite a bit of IME on this one.

9. Guidobass

Guidobass

I was in this same situation 3 months ago and decided mesa just for sheer sound quality. I'm a die hard Markbass fan but have of late become a Mesa fanboy when I got my M3 Carbine Combo 1x12....It might be a pain to lug it around but man does it fill a room!

10. skidmarkbass

skidmarkbass

I have a Markbass rig, SD800 w/ 410 and 115 and an Ampeg SVT w/810. As much as I love the Ampeg sound, the Markbass is getting all the action these days. It's light weight and sounds pretty damn good. I have even used it on small gigs with only one cab and it was fine. Also, it takes 2 people to get my Ampeg cab down 12 stairs. My 2 cents.

11. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

I'd go Mesa. Just because I like Mesa more. Its like CL400 said, what sounds best to YOU? I think MarkBass makes a killer product, but I think Mesa makes a better one and their stuff sounds better to my ears. Just MY opinions.

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

My vote would be Markbass. It's loud, light and has good tone. I don't need 300 lbs of equipment to get a good sound, my back loves me for it.

13. the yeti

the yeti

this, even though normally i hate this sort of response.

14. DigitalMan

DigitalMan

I'm not a big fan of the quality of the MarkBass cabs. Mesa IMO is well worth the price uplift.

15. IPYF

IPYF

I really like the M9. The Mesa 412 is probably my favourite cab of all time.

16. azflyman

azflyman

I love the sound of Mesa gear and just think Mark stuff falls off a bit when pushed. I also tend to buy products made in the USA when I can.

17. vin*tone

vin*tone

My ears tell me Mesa.

18. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 To me I would never trade my Mesa for anything Markbass unless you just have to have something ultralight. I like their tone but there is no comparison in overall quality.

19. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

I am a MarkBass user. I love my rig. I think my SA450 amp / 104HF cabinet combination is wonderful. So does everyone I've played with in the (approximately) 4 years I've owned it. Several musicians have commented on how great it sounds in various rooms I've played. That's good enough for me. :)

I've never gotten anything that speaks enough in the mid-range from any MESA rig I've played through. They sounded great, on their own, but any clarity disappeared for me when the band was playing. I had an exceptionally bad time with one Mesa 400+ / 4-10 rig. This is just my experience playing on other peoples gear, so I don't know what I might be able to dial in. But the settings on the amps didn't look too extreme to me. :confused:

20. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Can't really comment on the Mesa, but I like Markbass heads...

I run a LM through a Bergantino AE 410 & it's a beautiful thing - lots of clarity & what I consider a full & uncoloured sound that can be tweaked with preamps (like a SansAmp for dirt)... You can really hear the difference between different basses.

I have a Markbass 410hf, but prefer the Bergie...

The Markbass cab sounds much better in a loud mix, vs solo/practice - but I guess it shines where it counts...

I also love the black/yellow (some don't)...

21. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Mark Bass just sounds better, IMO/E! whenever i use my sons LMII, everyone in the band gets that grin, especially when we Dub-It live.