Markbass With Jazz Bass - Help With EQ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by theevilplankton, Sep 21, 2013.

1. theevilplankton

theevilplankton

Sometime back I had some help to EQ a P-bass. Brill solution, and it's sounded great ever since.

A few months back I picked up a USA Fender Jazz (pre-2012). However, I've since struggled to get a good live sound.

Using a Markbass 121 and New York cab, the only way I've cut through is to make the Jazz sound like a P - full neck pup, bit of bridge and roll off the tone.

I'd like more of a powerful, traditional Jazz bass tone, bit more Geddy/Marcus, etc.

Also tried just backing off one pup a little, but that just seems to make the sound very tinny.

I'm hoping there's some Markbass and Jazz bass users out there.....whatever your settings, please share!
  2. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

Turn off the MB filters - everything at noon, with the high/low MIDS upwards of 2-3 O'Clock. Sounds bad at home - sticks out great in the mix
  3. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

+1 Twocan! Sounds crappy at home but shines in a mix! I do this with my P-bass as well.
  4. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Those are close to the settings on my LMIII except I have the low and mid low at noon and the mid high and high at 2 o'clock. I do have the VPF just barely on, set at about 8 o'clock. I run my head through a pair of GK Neo 112's so my tone will be different than the OP's with his cabs.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MotorCityWest

MotorCityWest

another +1

neck pickup 100%
    bridge pickup 25-50%

mb filter 1st knob (VLE I think) 9-10 o clock
  7. theevilplankton

theevilplankton

Sounds good.....how do you set the bass itself?
  8. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

My jazz is active. I boost my mid, keep treble flat and add bass to taste. I like my pups equally balanced.
  9. sanderic

sanderic

Wonderful topic. I use exact same setup. However musical settings do play a huge difference so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. I use Fender 9050 flats playing in a 17 piece swing band.
    Bass at noon, lower mids at 3pm, upper mids at 10am ( often lower ), highs at noon, VLE at noon to three, and filter at zero.
    When I first bought this amp, I actually thought I had made a huge mistake and was considering returning it until..,I took it too a gig. OMG OMG, I am a Markbass believer.
    BTW, it was nice to walk away from the gig with amp in one hand, bass over the shoulder, and trophy wife ( "Honey, are you readin my posts again?) on the other arm
  10. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

I love the sound of my LMIII with my Jazz...easy to dial in what I need.

Not to hijack the thread..but I have problems with my P, getting the sound I want...debated getting a different amp due to this but can't let go of this wonderful Head.
  11. Davecg2

Davecg2

Disclosures:
    Founder, Dave BrowseMyGear.com
    Ha! That pretty much describes my live and studio tone. I have a Markbass LMT800 but if you look at the link, my EQ is setup exactly as you describe. And I've cut through with no problems in a band with 3 loud guitarists.
  12. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

I have a Markbass CMD102P (2x10 combo with a LM-III powering it) and a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass. The Geddy Lee is passive. I run the amp with all tone controls at noon and the VLE and VPF at 0 (both knobs twisted all the way counter clockwise). On the bass I run both volume pots on full and the tone know about half way (depending on the song).

The next step is critical... I then adjust the EQ for the room, usually cutting low bass to reduce the dull boom you sometimes get in a corner or on a raised wood stage. The key here is to walk out and see how it sounds a good distance from my rig. It helps if you have a long cable or a wireless system. The sound is different on stage than it is in the middle of the room, and that's where you want it to sound "right".

The same goes with sounding good in the mix. As others have said, its really important to separate "sounding good alone" from "sounding good in the mix". For my band at least, that's means I push a more mid bass sound rather than low bass.

On sound check, I'm the guy playing while walking out into the room, listening while we all play a bit, walking back to my rig, adjusting knobs, walking back out into the room, etc.
  13. theevilplankton

theevilplankton

I'll try that out - great ideas.

It seems I can get the sound I want....just need the right EQ!

Really appreciate the answers from all so far....really great info.....keep your settings coming!
  14. barrybass33

barrybass33 Supporting Member

I gig a mark bass head all the time. With a Epifani cab and I always run the amp flat & the filters between 9/30 & 10 clock

And I just play in different position around the pickups to change the tone...

You will be suprise what a palm mute might do for a song.

Or just try a active preamp either onboard or pedal..

It's just a pain in the ass to change eq settin on the amp from song to song.
  15. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Maybe try a pedal like a VT Bass or Flipster to give it some character and punch. Lots of Markbass guys do this to have the best o both worlds, and you don't have to mess with the amp's EQ.
  16. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    Its a match made in heaven.

Normally its flat and the filters are off.

For my basic tone that is the easiest plug & play combo out there.

I will only change the EQ if the room/stage needs it.
  17. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Supporting Member

I have the CMD 121P combo with a Traveller 210 extension and a stock Vintage '62 Jazz Bass. I keep the EQ flat or sometimes boost the lows and low mids. I keep the VLE off and the VPF between 9 and 11 o'clock.

- Steve
  18. Russell L

Russell L

I usually have the eq at noon on my LMIII, filters either off or the VLE around noon or more (going for a dark sound). Once in awhile I might turn the VPF up to around 9:00. Also, some rooms require lowering the low knob to about 10:00. Yet, I have alway been looking to tweak at around 100-200Hz, so I bought a little Boss eq pedal. Haven't gigged with it yet, but at practice it seems to work fine for affecting that range. I'll find out at the gig this Friday night.
  19. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.

I've been toying with this idea also. The low mid center freq is pretty high on my F1. I like a bump around 200-250 Hz. Let us know how it goes.
  20. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Supporting Member

Care to share your P-Bass EQ solution? :D

- Steve
  21. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

As stated Previously My Jazz sounds great with my LMIII.

Settings are Noon on EQ VLE between 10 and noon. Depending on the room, I may bump the high mids to 1 or 2.

Now my P: Bass at 2, the rest at noon, VLE at 9 or 10.