1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Marshall 1992LEM vs 1973 Super Bass

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Clammy, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Clammy

Clammy

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings
    Today, I A/B'ed my newly acquired Marshall 1992LEM head against my main 1973 Super Bass (bone stock). The settings were the same (Lemmy's preferred) for both amps:

Presence -8
    Bass - 0
    Middle - 10
    Treble - 0
    Volume I - 8
    Volume II - n/a

Both heads were plugged into my JCM 800 Bass Series 4x12 and 2x15 cabs. I used my '76 Rickenbacker 4001 (set to the DiMarzio X2N-B bridge pickup) plugged into the Channel 1 high input. No effects, just the bass straight into the amp. I used my Zoom H4, about 5 feet away and about waist height, to record the clips. Between head changes, I didn't move it or change any settings. No eq'ing or post processing. The song is Ace of Spades (of course ;) ). The first couple of notes are chopped off, because I was playing to the track (using my mp3 player and in-ears), and didn't have a count in.

Some personal observations: Setting the heads the way I did, and using my Rick, copped Lemmy's live tone bang on. The '73 Super Bass head is WAAAY louder than the 1992LEM (this MAY have to do with the fact that the 73 has NOS Mullard xf2 EL-34 power tubes, and is biased to 70%, and the LEM head is running the stock Svetlana EL-34s, and is at the factory bias setting, which I understand is usually pretty cold. Both amps have NOS Mullard ecc83s in the preamp. Another possibility is that the plate voltage on the 73 is higher than the LEM, but I haven't actually measure the LEM yet, so that's pure speculation). When you listen to the tracks, the volume difference is strictly from the different amps. The 73 is SO loud at 8, that it overloaded the H4 mics! Overall, I'm not TOO happy with the quality of these recordings, but they give you an idea of what these amps sound like cranked up, hehehe...

Enjoy! :p

1992LEM:
    https://soundcloud.com/clammy69-1/1992lem

1973 Super Bass:
    https://soundcloud.com/clammy69-1/1973sb

Cheers!
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:

2. D.M.N.

D.M.N.

3. bassvi

bassvi

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Thanks for making my day!!! I can only imagine how insanely loud that it was to make the bass feedback like that!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

WOW !!

LEM for me.

7. DownhillWillie

DownhillWillie

I wanted to like the 73 more but I think I gotta go LEM as it seems just a little more articulate and possibly a lil sweeter?
    Both sound really good, tough call but gotta go LEM!

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Sorry Clammy i disliked both tracks. Nothing negative about your playing whatsoever. I've spent my entire career trying to get away from distortion so I'm biased. :)

9. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Thats the kind of tone that screams "get the F out of my way, this is happening, I know this doesn't sound like a bass and I don't care, Im about to step on your face!" Love it.

10. ledyard

ledyard

Yeah, for recording purposes the LEM wins hands down. Its a little smoother and sweeter. In a live situation I would wager the SB would cut more though.

I used to Own a 73 Super bass and a 80' Rick natural 4001s (dot inlay). Played it through a newer (late 90's?) peavey 412 cab that I wish I still had. It was bliss!!!!!!

Your thread makes me want to post a pic of my lemmy autograph/portrait/motorhead tattoo but I have none taken.

11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Now you got me wondering how the LEM would sound with the Mullard tubes swapped in and the bias optimized.

12. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dimarzio X2N-B pickup was used here, don't know how often I have heard this combo before.

I own a late 70's X2N guitar pickup....Frank Zappa once described the sound of these pickups as a "deranged gnat"!

Steve Vai used them with Zappa.

Now you have me wondering if I can fit my X2N in my Aria Pro II Bass with humbuckers and run it thru my 71 Marshall Smallbox 50 or 73 Carlsbro 60TC!

I appreciate bass players that make a statement with their tone and you definitely made a statement.......been a Lemmy fan since the very early 80's.

13. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc

Dear god, that sounds amazing. You're basically talking my dream rig there. I'm currently running a '76 Ric 4001 through a Bugera 1960 (1959 Super Lead clone) and I can get into a similar ball-park, but there's definitely a beastliness in your clips that I can't reach yet. Some day ... some day.

14. Clammy

Clammy

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings
    The X2N-B is a ridiculously high output passive pickup. It really drives the amps' inputs HARD. :D Running 2 cabs makes a huge difference, as well. :D

Cheers!
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:

15. Atomic Al

Atomic Al

Media:
    Wow! Both sound great but I think I prefer the LEM myself.

PS, Love your band!
    LONG LIVE THE LOUD