1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Marshall MB4210 Line-out Issue

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ClaxTB, Dec 5, 2013.

1. ClaxTB

ClaxTB

First off, thanks in advance for any help on this issue.

Basically, I've had my MB4210 for about a year and a half and it's never had this issue on it before, i've scoured the internet for a solution but no one else seems to have the same issue.

Whenever I line out to my mixer through the emulated socket or the headphone socket, it distorts the sound no matter how low the volume is. I don't have a clue what it could be and i've tried altering different factors (bass, mixer, channels etc) but i'm truly stumped on this issue.

Any ideas ladies and gentlemen?

Many thanks,
    Alex
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

You have to know what levels are coming OUT of the various outputs on the amp, and what type of level is required on the INPUTS of the other devices. For instance, if you're going to a mixer, you want to use the balanced DI OUT from the amp, (XLR cable), and use the trim control on the mixer to get a good clean signal in. The headphone OUT is only good for headphones, nothing else. So, first things first, what kind of outputs does your amp have?
  3. ClaxTB

ClaxTB

Thanks for the quick reply!

I always used the emulated XLR line-out on the back of the amp, never had issues with the using it before. I've tried adjusting the clip and the gain on the mixer, i've also tried different ports and a different mixer which leads me to believe there may be something wrong with the amp itself. I have no idea what though. :meh:
  4. grenadilla

grenadilla

Does your master volume not affect the XLR output? If not, your input volume on the modern channel and the gain and volume on the vintage do affect these outputs ( XLR and Effects Send). Your active-passive switch affects both channels and may need to be on "active" with the volume and gain less than half-way. Is your amp cleaner than the PA ?
  5. maggsybass

maggsybass

Maybe try switching between pre and post eq, try switching between channels, does it happen with either or both?
    The XLR output on this amp is very hot, I used to use a -20db attenuator pad, but if you've not changed any settings I don't know why it would start distorting now.
    Have you changed your bass or any pedals to increase the input?
    Any switches accidentally changed without you noticing?