1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Martha My Dear.....

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by ZenG, Jan 18, 2014.

1. ZenG

ZenG

Why is this Beatle song so dang hard to play?

I can play everything else in my Complete Beatles Songbook

But this one always has me figuratively tripping over myself......
  2. bread_crumbs

bread_crumbs

So you need a tab for it, or.. ?
  3. obimark

obimark

It's kind of an old-time jazz-band feel for the most part, bassically Macca is playing the tuba part on the bass--- Oommph OOmmmph 1 3 1 3... (also similar to the typical 2 feel in Country)

Are you experienced with this feel? If you are it shouldn't be an issue.

Use a pick and pay attention to your note length.
  4. ZenG

ZenG

Bread_Crumbs:- Not sure if I need a tab or not......

wasn't sure what department to post this in......

I have all the sheet music.....

Seems like lots of jumping chord changes in this song.......
  5. JTE

JTE

OK, here's what I see (and it's been ages since I've heard it)...

Starts on a D goes down a half-step to C#min. That goes a fourth (the most common change) to F#m. Goes down a half-step to E (actually F#min/E, the same F#min chord with an E in the bass to make the line flow, and to set up the change to the B7 (a fifth), then a fourth to E and a fourth to A. Then the verse ends with the alternation between theh A and the G.

Chorus is C#min, up a fourth (again) to F#min, then instead of the F#min/E it's an E6 chord (same notes as C#min- E G# B C#)- then the F#min with the B in the bass goes a fourth B, repeats that move, and a cool little move from B7 to G# that sets up another cycle of fourths- G# > C#min7 > F#min7,

Break stuff down to find the cycles and repeated movements and things flow a lot more easily. Then add in what obimark says about the rhythmic feel to get it to sound right.

John
  6. ZenG

ZenG

I'm using the sheet music from the book "The Beatles Complete".....published by Wise Publications.

In this book the song starts in E-flat.

Ran through the entire chords a few times on my keyboard.......and the whole song sounds weird the way they wrote it.

Also ran into this on their version of "Drive My car"....

Not sure now if it's the book or me now.......
  7. obimark

obimark

Throw that book out then- Stat!
    the line starts with D-A D-A for quite a while before it changes up. Ultimate-guitar has some reasonably correct tabs on it.

When it changes feel it is a bit tricky-because he throws in some sixteenth note pick ups- but then again that is why they were the Beatles!

One thing that may help you out- when deciding if I am going to learn a bassline, (whether for my band or just for fun) I always ask, "Am I willing to put the time in to get this right?" Do I like the song enough? or is my band really going to play it?"

Many times, I find, some songs are worth it for me, some are not. Martha my Dear would fall into this category. for me personally. It just isn't an iconic Macca Line like Silly Love Songs, Dear Prudence, and Come Together are.
    So I invest my time in getting the feel and timing of those lines down. rather than too many songs from one particular artist.
    Now If I can only get my band to do Come Together!
  8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

A lot of books are not written well.
    You're ears and a good breakdown of positions & proper fingering
    will help.
    I've been working thru the RUSH book and it is written quite well but
    some sections are not accurate but then again their stuff is hard to play never mind
    transcribing.
  9. Precision101

Precision101

Dude the rush book is great. I like how it has both tabs and sheet. I thought they did a pretty accurate job with it. Some little things here and there but a good book for sure.
  10. ZenG

ZenG

Obimark.......Oh I'll get it eventually......one way or another......happens to be one of my favorite Beatle cuts....

I'll check out Ultimate Guitar tabs like you said....and see what they have......:)...........

Purpose is two fold.......I want to be able to play bass for it....but I also want to be able to do the song on keyboards as well....

Thank You.....
  11. obimark

obimark

Sure- stick with it.